Viewing 15 posts - 52,366 through 52,380 (of 59,098 total)
I have to agree with Jack on this one. My premise was based on only whether or not to use CASE or Dynamic SQL. The real key is...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:33 pm
Wait a minute, folks... does the table have a clustered index anywhere on it or not?
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:31 pm
Yep... even if you don't know their age 😀
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:30 pm
One of my favorite forms of torture for such idious-savantes is to simply take them out to dinner... sit them in a chair and feed them big ol' greasy-gravy pork-chops......
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:17 pm
... and, just to drive that well made point home... several panic calls at 2 - 4 am should quickly demonstrate the merit of a DBA having the privs to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:13 pm
Why would a null be the sole cause of duplicate rows? There are duplicate ages already. There's no difference there. You can have more than one person...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 1:00 pm
Personally, I'd opt for the Dynamic SQL. It's going to be easy to maintain and it's going to be just as fast or faster than anything else because there's...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 12:48 pm
Heh... the correct answer is that no one has yet defined what a NULL in the age column is actually supposed to represent. Therefore, the possibilities are endless until...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 11:54 am
karthi (2/25/2008)
Hi,I have a flat file without delimiters. The format is like
L10123444 221
but Col1 = L;col2=1;col3=0123444 etc...
how to import this kind of flat file
Thanks in advance
All of the methods...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 10:19 am
I'm with Jack on this one, Chris... a rewrite should be an opportunity to do things much better. I'd look at the code you're getting to rewrite and bust...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 10:05 am
How confident are you that you can formulate a query to pprecisely answer a particular question?
How would you know if it was "wrong"?
It goes back to exactly what...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 9:19 am
Man, I agree with that... personal choice on such things is rare indeed. If you do get to make the choice, despite what I or anyone else says, choose...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 8:00 am
Well I'll be darned... you remembered that? 😀
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 7:54 am
Yeaup... I agree... and that's what I meant. You must define what NULL means as part of the design of the table and you must understand what it means...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 7:42 am
Although XML would have a grand draw here, I loath it because of the duplicated data in the form of tags. A 1 mega-byte flat file can take 8...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
February 25, 2008 at 6:53 am
Viewing 15 posts - 52,366 through 52,380 (of 59,098 total)