Viewing 15 posts - 40,351 through 40,365 (of 59,098 total)
rpatil22 (1/7/2010)
'name',a1,b1,c1,a2,b2,c2,a3,b3,c3,a4,b4,c4
i want to make data in table
name a1 b1 c1
name a2 b2 c2
name...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm
If it's a fixed field (no delimiters, each column a given width), then I just import into a single column flat table and do a simple substring split. It's...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm
mtassin (1/7/2010)
jcdyntek (1/7/2010)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 11:41 am
Heh... might not be necessary here. You did great with the "on the fly" short list Tally. I was just telling you why I wrote the article. 🙂
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 8:59 am
Ah.... must look eye myself... I missed the two different datatypes. Sorry. NULL means "Unknown" and would work here.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 8:48 am
Heh... and I missed your previous comment on that very thing. Guess it's time to get some shut-eye.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 7, 2010 at 12:17 am
Phil Factor (1/5/2010)
Some estimates describe an alarming percentage fall from 40% to 20%. Clearly something must be done to reverse the trend.
[font="Arial Black"]WHY?[/font] Hasn't anyone considered that maybe the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:51 pm
I figured that's what it was. That's why I wrote the article on the Tally table... I got tired of explaining it and can just point them to the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm
donne4real (1/6/2010)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm
As a side bar for everyone else... a cursor isn't such a bad thing for such a control, here. You could concatenate all of the commands together in one...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:35 pm
Lynn Pettis (1/6/2010)
To continue, I did write a blog about it Comparing Hardcoded functions, In-Line TVF's, and Scalar Functions
Nice... I'm curious... why blog these instead of submitting them as articles?...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:32 pm
The devil's in the data. Please read and heed the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm
Ya beat me to it on the POWER thing. Nicely done, Lynn.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:25 pm
real_cals (1/6/2010)
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:21 pm
The Tally table is not a panacea and isn't good for this. Dynamic SQL would be good for this. So would an (ugh!) cursor.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
January 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 40,351 through 40,365 (of 59,098 total)