Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 3,717 total)
Michael Earl (3/6/2008)
I want to comment on your removal of the guts of the delete stored procedures by telling you to look up "Deferred updates".
If you update a column...
March 7, 2008 at 1:51 pm
What data in your shopper table actually gets used frequently?
A one-to-one relationship is not necessarily a bad thing so if you put your main data in one table and the...
March 5, 2008 at 8:51 am
In a similar vein I have solutions architect that has come up with a 5 layer architecture
1. Data Access Layer
2. Entity Layer
3. Business Logic Layer
4. Binding Layer
5. Presentation Layer
I don't...
March 3, 2008 at 2:44 pm
Restarting the publisher is not a problem.
Restarting the distributor or subscriber may have an affect depending on how long they are down for.
If they are down for longer than you...
February 29, 2008 at 11:47 am
I don't know about it being the "only" way but it is certainly what I use.
I have a reporting server and data is constantly being replicated down to it. ...
February 27, 2008 at 1:53 am
Yes, that's the one but it doesn't seem to be present in SQL2005 or VS2005.
February 27, 2008 at 1:51 am
I would set up transactional replication to server B syncing every 5 minutes. That way you are not going to get sudden huge spikes in traffic just a series...
February 25, 2008 at 12:08 pm
I try to avoid string manipulation where possible/practical as it computers work better with numbers. Sometimes string manipulation is a necessary evil.
February 17, 2008 at 6:39 am
I worked on a project using VS for database professionals and was initially very impressed. I say inititially because I found that deploying the project to an existing database...
February 17, 2008 at 5:08 am
You have FLOOR which rounds down and CEILING which rounds up but it doesn't specify decimal places.
You could do something like
FLOOR(Value *100)/100
Depending on what you are doing with your rounded...
February 16, 2008 at 6:32 am
Steve,
Your previous feedback is something useful that I can do something with. The situation I am in is that I am trying to move towards agile development but I'm...
February 15, 2008 at 11:26 am
Thanks as ever for your comments.
Some of the books I've read on the subject do mention that house building is a bad analogy for agile development but I couldn't think...
February 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm
I thought that clustered indexes have to go on the same filegroup as their table in any case.
I would look to put the larger indexes on their own filegroup and...
February 6, 2008 at 12:34 pm
Bounce your records into a temporary table with an identity field on it.
Then do something similar to the pseudo query below
UPDATE DEST
SET DateTime = DATEADD(mm,T.ID-DT.FirstID,GETDATE())
FROM dbo.YourTable AS YT
INNER JOIN...
February 1, 2008 at 12:31 pm
If you have the chance then use international/national standards for your geographic codes. You would be surprised by how many different every day entities DO have an ISO standard.
Obviously...
February 1, 2008 at 12:24 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 2,191 through 2,205 (of 3,717 total)