Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,241 through 9,255 (of 9,728 total)

  • RE: Finding Analysis Services in SQL 2000

    Well, gosh darnit! Now I have to go begging up to Corporate (who has outlawed new SQL 2000 installs) and see if they will give me a copy of...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: VARCHAR(1000) vs. VARCHAR(MAX)

    Microsoft seems to have their documentation mixed up. Here's where I got my information:

    Books Online - Index Search - pages [SQL Server], about pages

    Page Types:

    Data

    Data rows with all...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Changing Career Gears

    I have to agree with Timothy. It depends on what your employer of choice is looking for.

    I originally used the cert material as a method of learning the basics...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Finding Analysis Services in SQL 2000

    I just tried running through the installation of SQL Server 2000 Developer. I tried adding components to my existing install of the SQL Server. There was nothing there...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Finding Analysis Services in SQL 2000

    Well, the service is definitely installed on the server, but my client tools can't seem to access it. Do I need to install AS on my desktop to get...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Changing Career Gears

    You're correct there. The closest I got was when I started creating MS Access databases for various things while I worked for the records management firm. I was the...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Finding Analysis Services in SQL 2000

    Markus,

    Thank you. That explains why I'm confused. I'm using the client tools on my desktop and should have gone straight to the source. @=)

    Thanks again!

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Finding Analysis Services in SQL 2000

    Loner,

    I'm trying to figure out if it's already installed, though. How do I do that?

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Changing Career Gears

    Clive, I didn't say I had no Real World experience. I said I had no professional experience. Professional = Paid official job title.

    My father was a computer programmer,...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: VARCHAR(1000) vs. VARCHAR(MAX)

    Ditto to Ed's reply with one clarification. @=)

    The 2 byte overhead of VarXXXXX datatypes is basically a pointer (of sorts) that tells the data page that this field can grow...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Who's responsible for the Data Model?

    I actually agree with getting everyone to sit down and contribute. The problem is that in practice it usually ends up being one person who sits down and creates...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: VARCHAR(1000) vs. VARCHAR(MAX)

    Does SQL Server actually reserve the space on the disk for the field if it is varchar(8000) and only 100 characters are used?

    Yes... Sort of. It doesn't actually...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Who's responsible for the Data Model?

    Heaven forbid that you should leave it up to the application developers. They'll design you a database that makes a DBA job a nightmare! And there are people...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Changing Career Gears

    Clive,

    They didn't introduce just one new cert. They introduced 4 of them. @=) All new SQL Server 2005 certification information can be found at the following link:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/sql/default.mspx

    Hope this...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Changing Career Gears

    If you've been a DBA for 8 years already, go for the MCITP instead (SQL 2005 -and possibly 2008- certs). It'll look much better on your job history. ...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 9,241 through 9,255 (of 9,728 total)