xp_smtp_sendmail

• Hi

Just wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

I am using the xp_smtp_sendmail procedure for sending mail and I am experiencing the following issue:

It work's fine with the @to, @from and @attachment parameters however when I try and use the @from_name, @subject, @message parameters I receive the following errors.

If I add the @from_name parameter without the N (for unicode) the error is 'The data area passed to a system call is too small'. If I add the N the message changes to 'Overlapped I/O operation is in progress'. If I add the @subject parameter with or without the N the error is 'Error: setting @subject parameter'. If I add the @message parameter with or without the N the error is 'The data area passed to a system call is too small'.

I would appreciate anyone thoughts on this please. The server is running Windows NT4 SP5 and SQL Server is Version 7.0 Service Pack 2.

Regards

Grant Newport

• Grant,

I installed version 1.1.0.8 under SQL 7 SP4 (SQL log shows "Using 'xpsmtp70.dll' version '2002.08.12'") and was unable to replicate the problem for any combination of normal and unicode data for those 3 parameters.

I even installed the SQL2000 version under SQL 7 and that worked ok in all circumstances too.

What version are you running? If it's the same, can you post one of the statements that are causing errors?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks. I have checked the version and it is 2002.08.12 also. I am wondering whether it is an issue with Windows NT only being SP5 or SQL being SP2. The statement is:

exec xp_smtp_sendmail

@to = 'email address',

@from = 'email address',

@attachment = 'file name',

@server = 'smtpservername',

@subject = 'subject'

It works fine until I add the @subject variable where I get the error 'Error: setting @subject parameter'

• Sorry Grant. Still couldn't replicate it, using:

exec xp_smtp_sendmail

@to = 'myusername@myisp.com',

@from = 'mccork',

@attachment = 'c:\boot.ini',

@server = 'mail.myisp.com',

@subject = 'subject subject subject'

Maybe you're right and the NT SP and SQL 7.0 SP do combine to cause problems.

There's a mention in the doco about previous problem with SQL 7.0 and opends60.dll, which is fixed now. My version of mssql7\binn\opends60.dll is dated Apr 9 2002. What about yours?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Very interesting. The file opends60.dll file on the server is dated Feb 8 00. Thanks very much for your help. Think I will be arranging NT and SQL Servicing Packing as soon as possible. Can you please post the link or send it to me for where you are seeing this please?

Cheers

Grant

• See the Change Log at the bottom: http://sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks

• Have now applied Windows NT4 SP6a and still no change. Will try SQL Server 7 SP 4 and see if that makes any difference but any other assistance would be much appreciated.

Grant

• Reapplied SQL Server 7 SP2 and still have the same issues. Any help would still be appreciated.

Grant

• Did you try SQL 7 SP4 as you proposed? What about uninstalling/reinstalling xp_smtp?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks for the response. Unfortunately due to application issues we're not able to move to SP4, but did reapply SP2. Have unregistered xp, deleted dll, replaced dll and reregistered xp but still no joy.

Grant

• Sorry, but I can't go back to SP2 either. I guess the next step would be for you to send a query to the xpsmtp people.

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks. Have tried that but have not received a response to date.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply