Writing select results to a file

• I read a forum article about writing to a file, but it was within the context of while I was in Query Analyzer. What I need to do is do a simple test script doing some selects from sysobjects. I want the results to be logged to a file. If my test script looks like this (see below), how do I write the results to a file?? Thank you in advance!! Happy New Year all!!

SELECT

name

, crdate

, refdate

FROM sysobjects

WHERE

type = 'P' AND name = 'GetLocationsAll'

SELECT

name

, crdate

, refdate

FROM sysobjects

WHERE

type = 'P' AND name = 'GetLocationsByCode'

etc.......(13 total)

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• You have a couple of options, but they aren't things you can specify in T-SQL.

BCP can run queries and put their output in a file.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Backup+%2F+Restore/30027/

So can SSIS.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic525180-148-1.aspx

There are lot more articles and forums on this site if you do a search on results to file.

Happy New Year to you, too. 😀

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• If the file is a "continuous" log instead of a file to be created on the fly, look into the simplicity of making a Text based linked server... a pretty good example is in Books Online under linked servers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• thank you to both of you for the good ideas!! I will read the articles in the am.

In this instance, all I want to do is check to see if these sp's exist, and what their create dates were. Drop the results into a file I can go read and then be done with it. I can see myself using this file idea over and over in the course of what I do, so I wanted to document the process. It is not going to be any big deal...I just don't know how to do it!! LOL....

thanks again guys!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• You could also save the selects in a scriptfile, make a simple (dos) batchfile and use sqlcmd with the script as input and >> to an outputfile.

It doesn't need to be overly complicated 😉

/Kenneth

• Kenneth, that is what I want to do, I just don't know the syntax! Never written to a file before....

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply