writing queries that easily readable

• I have been told my queries are hard to read...

Besides using #comments to explain blocks of code,

does anyone know of a primer that advises on good technique for

consistent indenting and spacing ie. visual presentation 'rules of thumb' for sql query syntax

to make it a pleasure to read

by others?

--Quote me

• Why don't you show us an example of a query that has been labelled as hard to read?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• The way in which queries are formatted is very subjective. Some people like this:

select col1, col2, col3

from mytable

inner join myothertable on col1 = myfk

where time < getdate()

others prefer more indentation.

select col1, col2, col3

from mytable

inner join myothertable on col1 = myfk

where time < getdate()

still others want better separation.

select

col1

, col2

, col3

from mytable

inner join myothertable

on col1 = myfk

where time < getdate()

I think I'd ask people what is hard to read in the company. Perhaps there are things you can do to adapt. The other thing is to use a tool like SQL Prompt from Redgate Software to allow reformatting. Then if someone doesn't like your format, they just change it to theirs.

And you can change it back.

Disclosure: I work for Redgate Software.

• Decent, consistent layout, meaningful aliases, useful variable names.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • There is an older book available from Redgate called The Guide to SQL Server Team Development[/url]. It's free to download. It has a chapter on coding standards. The rest of the book is somewhat out of date.

The main point is clarity. Consistent aliases is one. For example, this should not be done:

SELECT ...

FROM SomeTable a

JOIN SomeOtherTable b

ON a.id=b.id

JOIN YetAnotherTable c

ON b.id = c.id

WHERE...;

SELECT ...

FROM DifferentTable a

JOIN NotTheSameTable b

ON a.id = b.id

WHERE...;

You're using the same aliases for different tables. In a really tiny query like this, no big deal. In a larger query it makes everything harder to read and understand. Clarity is key. Something like this:

SELECT ...

FROM SomeTable AS st

JOIN SomeOtherTable AS sot

ON st.id=sot.id

JOIN YetAnotherTable AS yat

ON sot.id = yat.id

WHERE...;

SELECT ...

FROM DifferentTable AS dt

JOIN NotTheSameTable AS ntst

ON dt.id = ntst.id

WHERE...;

Every time you reference a table, use the same alias. That consistency will make all your code more readable. I also break they queries vertically as you can see. I use the AS keyword to mark aliases because it makes the code more clear. I always terminate each statement with a semi-colon since more and more that's a requirement within SQL Server.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• For formatting, instead of buying a tool, you can also use the following web site: http://www.dpriver.com/pp/sqlformat.htm

Robert van den Berg

Freelance DBA
    Author of:

• Other free formatting websites are available - http://www.format-sql.com (from Red Gate), or http://www.sql-format.com (from DevArt)

Take your pick. But be consistent - they all have their own rules. Unlike SQLPrompt, or other client-side tools, though, you can't change the formatter settings in RedGate's tool, but you can make format rule changes with the other.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• The links are very appreciated. I'll take a look

In my case the complaints have been about indentation and spacing akin to what one might expect from an outline for an essay. Main topic intro at top, supporting arguments each having own paragraph (indented!), and each point supporting main idea of paragraph indented further.....that sort of thing.

Main idea

----->1.Supporting Argument 1

---------->a.

---------->b.

---------->c.

----->1.Supporting Argument 2

---------->a.

---------->b.

---------->c.

----->1.Supporting Argument 3

---------->a.

---------->b.

Conclusion

So that when someone looks, the organization just looks appealing. it would be great to have rules like, subqueries should always be indented 15 spaces, JOINS for outer queries 5 space, JOINS for inner queries 10......etc.

I will review the materials you all suggested and thanks for taking it seriously!

--Quote me

• Those rules should be agreed with your team. There's no hard and fast rules there, I would indent differently to how Grant did in the queries above. Neither of us is wrong.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (11/30/2015)

Those rules should be agreed with your team. There's no hard and fast rules there, I would indent differently to how Grant did in the queries above. Neither of us is wrong.

I didn't indent those queries...

Oh... never mind.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• GilaMonster (11/30/2015)

Those rules should be agreed with your team.

What Gail wrote above is the most important. I'll also [font="Arial Black"]STRONGLY [/font]recommend that the "Team" determine a "standard" and write it into a document or a WIKI that all must follow and enforce. I have to tell you that it's absolutely worth doing and agreeing upon and it'll save a ton of time during troubleshooting and, once people get used to it, during Development.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Honestly, many more pressing issues and teams are not bothered to spend time on this topic, yet it is expected that queries are readable. Seriously, does any team really have discussions about these things? The answer is No.

So, that's why I posted.

With the good feedback I got here I could develop a great personal style and make a proactive effort to develop the standard.

--Quote me

• polkadot (12/1/2015)

Seriously, does any team really have discussions about these things?

Yes, good teams do, because they know that making time to establish standards and practices saves time later on.

If the team doesn't agree on formatting standards and acceptable layouts, then everyone's going to code their own way and the team members will be wasting time changing formats again and again and struggling to read code, and so they'll be busier than they need to be.

It's the old "I don't have time to sharpen the axe, I have too much wood that needs chopping".

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

polkadot (12/1/2015)

Seriously, does any team really have discussions about these things?

Yes, good teams do, because they know that making time to establish standards and practices saves time later on.

If the team doesn't agree on formatting standards and acceptable layouts, then everyone's going to code their own way and the team members will be wasting time changing formats again and again and struggling to read code, and so they'll be busier than they need to be.

It's the old "I don't have time to sharpen the axe, I have too much wood that needs chopping".

Piling on.

Absolutely they do. You want to arrive at a place where you're improving and smoothing communication. Sure, there are little details like commas in front or trailing (trailing of course) that don't really matter. But you have to agree on lots of stuff, abbreviations, key words, indents & line breaks and all the other methodologies. Yes, the team should talk about this and then refresh it occasionally to ensure things are working well.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I'd say that plenty of teams argue about names and formats. Whether it's formal or informal, each of us has preferences.

Agreeing on some is good, but also have tools for reformatting code helps. That way individuals can review code without worrying about the way the last person laid it out.

Naming, however, is a different issue. We all deal with naming, and with aliases, so I would standardize those. If we encounter a new situation, say for a Service Broker Activation Procedure, call a 5 minute meeting and decide on a name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply