Writing id's across multiple records 7 at a time..

• G'day all!

I recently just had a question answered on these forums (looking back in time) and this is part of the next step.

I need to create a column that holds an identifier as to what week grouping a particular day belongs to. For the moment I am calling it "sequence".

ie:

kcckey daytoday semester term week sequence

2008-06-16 Monday 1 2 10 52

continuing on with the sequence increasing every time a new week is reached starting on Monday. ie: Monday 23rd and days all the way to Sunday of that week would have sequence 53 and so on.

How can I write some TSQL that will write 7 records and then increment the number by 1 and then write it to the next 7 records, increment the number by 1 and write it to the next 7 records and so on until all records are labeled?

I don't have any previous experience with cursors (other than try not to use them I hear!) or while loops and would greatly appreciate a steering in the right direction!

Thanks! - Damien 🙂

• You don't need sequence.

You need number of weeks (7 day groups) from some initial date.

UPDATE KCC

SET sequence = DATEDIFF(dd, @InitDate, kcc_date)/7

WHERE {if you need some}

• Supplement Sergiy's great suggestion with something like a Tally Table, and you could write years worth of these at a time.

A good starting point would be here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/TSQL/62867/[/url]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (6/16/2008)

Supplement Sergiy's great suggestion with something like a Tally Table, and you could write years worth of these at a time.

His KCC table is actually Calendar table, kind of "Tally for dates".

So, he's on right track.

🙂

The task was to set right sequential numbers for weeks.

• Sergiy (6/16/2008)

Matt Miller (6/16/2008)

Supplement Sergiy's great suggestion with something like a Tally Table, and you could write years worth of these at a time.

His KCC table is actually Calendar table, kind of "Tally for dates".

So, he's on right track.

🙂

The task was to set right sequential numbers for weeks.

Good eye - didn't gather that the first time reading through!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (6/16/2008)

Good eye - didn't gather that the first time reading through!

It's a follow-up for this:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic517329-8-1.aspx

I had a chance to miss the point there.

:hehe:

• Thank you to everyone for your replies!

And thank you especially to Sergiy, that code is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply