Would you change to a better job for a lot less money?

• I am not asking my boss (who happens to be the CIO) to say thanks to me everyday.

He is the CIO but he does not even know the difference between a .Net programmer and a database programmer.

One time I was implementing a big system, he pulled me out to attend a meeting how to clean the office. Even my project manager got upset.

I want to work for someone that I respect and trust.

I definitely cannot trust his judgement and qualification nor respect his way of doing thing.

The other day, he suggested that whenever someone from the office called us to help, he wanted us to read a script which would the person feel important and good.

I work for IT not customer service. He can hire someone with minimum pay to read the script.

• I mean I am not asking my boss to say thanks to me everyday!!

• Loner (7/15/2011)

The other day, he suggested that whenever someone from the office called us to help, he wanted us to read a script which would the person feel important and good.

I work for IT not customer service.

I know many people that have felt the same way. Maybe reading a script is going over the top on it. I used to work for somebody who thought that IT was on the same level as a call center. You shouldn't be treated that way.

That said, take a minute to think from his perspective. In IT you have tangible customers with whom you may interact with for up to 8 hrs a day or more depending on scheduling and circumstances. The business and the company you work for - they are your customers. Your boss may just be trying to mend fences between biz and IT. He may just want you to sound be nice to the people paying your paycheck. You are selling your services back to the biz on a daily basis and they need to be convinced of the value and that you can be chipper with them.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• To add to what Jason said, also see it from the business side.

When you call your cable company, which of the following do you want to hear?

"Yeah, Cable Internet, What's broke?" "Sigh, alright, hang on, let me look..." "Yeah, it's busted, I'll find some minimum wage fool to drive out at 4 in the morning to fix it..."

or

"Hi, Cable Internet, what seems to be the trouble?" "Oh, that's definately a problem. Give me a moment and I'll take a look at your ping rates and confirm if the problem's on our end." "Yes, it is. I'm so sorry about that. I'll have a technician contacted immediately to go take care of the problem. It's 4AM however so I'll need to find the on call technician, so I'd ask you to please have a little patience while we get this resolved."

Phrasing is everything, and some people can't think it through well enough on the fly, thus scripts were born to help management make sure that harried busy IT people don't have to try to think about how to be customer service as well. It's on the paper in front of them.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Unfortunately I am in a similar position. I am in my "Dream Job" but my company has slimmed down to the point we are slammed every day and my team (2 people) can't take a day off without killing each other. I am looking around and considering a pay cut (one that I can afford) to ransom my life back. I don't have a life now, it is all job. That's not right!!

By Dream Job I mean I LOVE the tasks, projects, and customers and am well qualified for the position, but there is an awful lot of great stuff to do and about 1/3 enough people to do it. Very frustrating.

Now that the job market is improving I think my employer--turning a deaf ear to my team's distress, for several years now--deserves the pain of replacing us rather than fulfilling the empty promise of reinforcing us.

• I am waiting to hear back from a non-profit charity that I've applied to (bored & dead-end at my current job). I found out it would be a big pay cut (20%), but maybe there will be enough benefits to make it work. I hope that I can talk the salary up a little bit, maybe get a bit extra vacation time, closer to home, maybe lower insurance costs .... If I get a follow-up interview, and find out the details, then maybe the final numbers will be a bit better when everything is taken into consideration.

• homebrew01 (7/28/2011)

I am waiting to hear back from a non-profit charity that I've applied to (bored & dead-end at my current job). I found out it would be a big pay cut (20%), but maybe there will be enough benefits to make it work. I hope that I can talk the salary up a little bit, maybe get a bit extra vacation time, closer to home, maybe lower insurance costs .... If I get a follow-up interview, and find out the details, then maybe the final numbers will be a bit better when everything is taken into consideration.

I will never work at a non-profit again. I did that once because I was in a situation where it was the only option.

I took it because it was near my house and it was fulltime, whereas everything else at that time of the year was contract and involved a long drive.

After 1 month I realized I had made a mistake.

Non-profits:

1) They never have budgets for upgrades, so you are working with old servers and obsolete applications.

2) They were still on SQL Server 2000 and only were interested in SQL Server 2005 (and this was during 2010). Your skills will get stale.

3) They were understaffed because of budget cuts, so that resulted in the staff being way overloaded.

4) The non-profit CEO makes $200,000 per year, everyone else works for 20%-30% below market.

Anyone with options for better employment will get out of a non-profit ASAP. I started looking for another job in my first month and got out after only being there 3 months.

I would certainly never leave a position to go work for a non-profit.

You should only consider it if you are currently unemployed and need to be working somewhere.

It is always easier to get a new job while you are working at a current position. Being unemployed and searching is a big negative.

• OP,

Update on current situation?

Also, you are not in a "take the first thing that comes along" situation...so take you time and make an informed decision.

FYI - the fact that you have a job that has enough downtime for you to get bored browsing the internet is a red flag to me that you may lack a bit of self-motivation.

• You need to show initiative. If you are bored and surfing the internet, why not invest in a book or 2 and study to obtain certifications?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply