Working Remotely

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Working Remotely

• I do all of my work remotely since I moved to North Carolina but my clients are all over the US. I use TrueCrypt to set up mountable encrypted drives on my laptop, and I use VPN where provided by the client. Some small shops do not have the experience to get VPN set up so I use Hamachi (the free version) to set up a tunnel between my laptop and the system I remote desktop into on those clients who do not have VPN set up for me. I then use Comodo personal firewall to protect my laptop, in fact I run it on all of my systems even at the office when I am behind the hardware firewall.

TrueCrypt, Hamachi and Comodo are all dead easy to set up and use. They leave no excuses for not having a secure environment on your laptop. I set up a system at my home office with Hamachi and use a Hamachi VPN tunnel to get there when I am on the road. I can use Remote Desktop on my systems at home to do secure browsing (over a Hamachi VPN Tunnel) while on the road or in public.

jwcolby54

• I have a client that has a strange set up. I have to VPN in from my work desktop, RDP into a special machine there, use that to, via Terminal Services, get to a second machine where I launch VNC to get to their server. Since their VPN is IP authenticate in addition to passwords I have to do this from my desk. I sometimes have to do this from home so I VPN in to the office and grab my desktop via RDP. :crazy: It's point, click, and wait a long tim for the screen to update. I'm real careful because I'm never sure where where my key strokes are going.

It's the joy of working remotely. But then think of those poor dudes driving the robots on Mars. Put in a command and wait 20 minutes to see if it worked.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I agree that a little paranoia is a good thing when it comes to discussing what you do for system security.

Even in forums like this.

So, how is the weather on Mars today... :Whistling:

• But I have another customer with two separate networks. I have to VPN from home to office. Then VPN into Network One. Finally VPN from Network One to Network Two. It's not security it's bad planning.

when someone says "hoops" I don't think "basketball".

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (10/11/2007)

But I have another customer with two separate networks. I have to VPN from home to office. Then VPN into Network One. Finally VPN from Network One to Network Two. It's not security it's bad planning.

That must suck a lot of bandwidth along the way. VPN uses overhead for all the encryption.

jwcolby54

• That must suck a lot of bandwidth along the way. VPN uses overhead for all the encryption.

You were right in the first place. It sucks in general. You have to do what you have to do. It's not like I can drive cross town to do this. In fact my local customers want me to come over and do it. Then after the first "face to face", when they get a look at my face, they put in a VPN pretty quick. :w00t: It's not a face that launched a thousand ships, but it's sold more than one remote access solution.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I used to work for a company that was not so enlighted. You could not work from home remotely. 🙁

Hopefully, the company I work for now will be more enlighted.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• From Mars to the local 'hoops' court ... WOW !

Am I glad all I usuallyhave to do is use a CICSO VPN and RDP (sometimes Putty for my *nix servers) ...

... however I do have one environment (a recently acquired subsidiary) where I have to RDP to a 192.168 address, then from there to a 10.x address to get to another server ... this is a temporary situation though ... since the network geeks are working on getting the NAT tables and routing tables in proper order ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I think anyone who is able to work remotely, and can be trusted to do so, should. I'm not a DBA, but I do work directly on the web and database server (housed in the office) when I work from home. I use VPN to get into the company's network, then remote desktop from my laptop to work on the server. I've found it is even easier than working at the server directly...mostly because I don't have to stand at the KVM in an ice cold room, plus I get to drink my soda!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply