Working Out of a Job

• Amen.

• I am a believer that you should always work as hard as you can to make the work that you've done easy to be handed off to someone else.  Working yourself out of a job is not a bad thing and often means promotion or new opportunities as long as the people you work for recongize your efforts.

In this time of cost cutting, many industries (paper industry in my case) need skills to enable the business to get by with less personnel.  This obviously means automating tasks normally done manually.  The problem is that the dollars saved by improving employee efficeincy is NOT directly proportional to the salary you are making to accomplish this cost cutting.

Sincerely,

Looking for a new job that better values my skills.

• A person who does a good job makes it look easy. If it looks easy then it looks as if anyone could do it.

• Saw this happen to a manager of mine - he did a pretty good job of streamlining the servers, moving from individual desktop support to a Citrix farm, changing over to a more standard Cisco network from ATM (the idea being that anyone could then support it if needed), and generally tweaking things so that the job would have less work as time went on.

Thanks to all of his hard work, his position was eliminated and our data center was outsourced. He even got some kudos saying that if he hadn't done such a good job, the company never could have outsourced the data center. :-/ Morale was a little low for some time after that.

-Pete

• Recently, an oprganisation dcided that it would create a position for a desktop SOE Architect.Which is fine - because you get concurrence across the whole organisation.

However, the new SOE guy was very technical sound.

He had the organisation run up a central Windows Update Server, a Central Virus updating Server too. he managed to automate the workstation renaming themselves based on their DNS entry too

So what happened?

After everyone ran around like headless chooks for a few months ensuring that all workstations were configured to receive Microsoft Security patches from the central SUS server, and Virus updates via the McAfee EPO server and ensure that all workstations obtained various network settings via DHCP and their new names via DNS the organisation got rid of 120 IT staff

Now the organisation;

WAS overborne with IT staff

DID require a uniform desktop environment

DID require enterprise-wide solutions for windows/virus updates and apparently

DIDN'T require 120 staff members!

Gavin Baumanis

Smith and Wesson. The original point and click device.

• "You are all cut."

Those companies who purport to hire full time but really its a contract; won't stay long in the business. They in fact, in the case above, wasted 120 people who had worked with each other and were comfortable with one another and have technical skills to work in the field.  That company lost an opportunity to develop that group further into a better ROI.  For what some smug satisfaction on the face of the upper management.  Smacks of egotism; not that I'd know anything aobut that ; just shush it shushy.

Piss off, err I'm sorry I mean lay off 120 IT people and dollars for donuts that sort of behaviour will come around again.

I'm not sure what a chook is.  And McAfee EPO and DHCP.... ew.   But who hires 120 IT anymore; heh... Office Depot

"Can I offer you an extended 20 dollar warrentee on that 15 dollar calculator, sir?"

• "For what some smug satisfaction on the face of the upper management."

Dude, it's more than that.  What do you think happens to the cash that used to go to the people laid off?  More often than not, a chunk of it goes to the smart, courageous manager who fired all that "deadwood" and made the organization lean and mean. 

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Words for the cynic/realist/fatalist based on your point of view or situation:

Shepkowski's Employment Credo

-- How much do I get paid ?

-- When do I get paid ?

-- What do I have to do to get paid ?

Corollary

-- The company is not your friend !

There's a little something in the above for everyone to take away

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• *nods*

call me a cynic, but after all the bumps and bruises and "premanent" job layoffs and companies folding and...

That's become exactly my attitude.

Though I would also add:

What experience will I gain here that will help me get more pay?

• Smart and courageous do not apply to that task.  If that is a last resort then sadness and remorse is what applies. 

Any manager can fire, great managers mold and build people.

And "Sir" will due, when you are referring to me.

And Yes the end result is only a smug look on a managers face, and  it can and will get wiped off from time to time.

• Some life's observations from an old fart

• No organisation shrinks to greatness!
    • But it doesn't stop them trying
    • Layoffs get exponentially scarier when you breach 40
    • Pay peanuts, get monkeys
    • If you work for a loser you will be judged a loser yourself
    • Life's not fair. It never has been, never will be. Get over it
    • One of the hardest things to find after you have lost it is your self respect
    • No-one is indespensible
    • The gratitude of kings is fleeting
  • David - one old fart to another - I have to now buy a hat just so I can take it off to you sir !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Here, here, Mr. Poole for the House of Commons!

• You may just have your "here"s all dislocated!..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Do monkeys really like peanuts?.. one would think if you paid peanuts you'd get elephants or mice or squirrels?

But if you paid in banana's I think you'd get monkeys...

I see your hat and raise you a shirt! Bring on that pole for me to swing on, i gotta pay for that SSC training somehow...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply