Working MS SQL Remotly

• Hi friends.

I have a scenario like, i got low disk space where i installed my MS SQL Server 2008, now i want to move my all DB files to new HDD which i added recently. but i dnt want to install new SQL SERVER again there.

is that Possible?

Moving the DB files to remotely, and Server installed some ware else?

Please let me know ASAP.

@JayMunnangi

• This should not be a problem: detach your database, move it to the new location and attach it again.

EDIT: As an afterthought: you can and probably should chage the default location of your databasefiles in the Server/instance properties.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Thanks for the reply,

You mean Detach and Attach the DB?

Can you be clear about the procedure?

Can i go with this procedure?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx

Please let me know ASAP.

@JayMunnangi

• As long as the new hard drive is physically attached to the server that's running SQL, yes. You can't, for example, put the files on to a network share.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

We have added a new HDD to the same server. And now i want to move the DB files to that HDD, and leave the installed server running in the same old HDD.

My doubt is can i put the DB files in other HDD, rather than putting it in the same HDD where SQL SERVER was installed?

@JayMunnangi

• mjkreddy1927 (7/29/2010)

Hi,

We have added a new HDD to the same server. And now i want to move the DB files to that HDD, and leave the installed server running in the same old HDD.

My doubt is can i put the DB files in other HDD, rather than putting it in the same HDD where SQL SERVER was installed?

Short answer, yes.

SQL Server does not need to be installed on the same HDD as the database files, in fact it is probably better that they aren't.

• Hi Lynn,

Can you tell me the procedure to move the DB files,

thanks for the reply.

@JayMunnangi

• Detach the database (right click -> Tasks -> detach)

Go to explorer and move the files to where you want them to be

Reattach the database (right click the databases folder -> attach)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, it is possible using detach and attach of database.

Please refer the KB article for details

How to move SQL Server databases to a new location by using Detach and Attach functions in SQL Server

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply