Windows update broke an app (sql 2008 backend)

• Hi all,

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-045

MS released this patch on Tuesday. Since then - hundreds if not thousands of legacy apps using ADO/MDAC have stopped working on Windows 7.0! Shocker! Aside from the questions surrounding that. I wondered if anyone could assist.

Our particular app is running against a SQL 2008 backend, but calling it using an old SQL DSN driver, and then the connection is made using a typical ADO connection. This all works, but the program runtime errors the moment it runs a basic SQL query against the backend via the ADO connection.

Removing the offending patch fixes this on Win 7.0 - but thats not a viable long term solution for our in house business users.

Additionally the app still works on XP following the equivalent patch being installed for that OS.

Think MS have dropped the ball personally - but I wonder if there may be a workaround without having to rewrite code whether that be registry tinkering or DSN tinkering (or maybe its just specifying the initial ADO connection differently to be more WIn 7.0 compliant?)

Our connection is -

sqlCn = "Provider=MS Remote;Remote Server=HTTP://server;Remote Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=name;UID=name;PWD=pwd"

Dim objCn As New ADODB.Connection

With objCn

.ConnectionTimeout = 60

.CommandTimeout = 60

.Open sqlCn

End With

The failure is on rst.Open "Select * from tblName", objCn

• For anyone that is interested, MS are bringing out a fix for this, due the end of this week. PHEW!

• I learned my lesson on SQL Server 2000 SP 3. I never install a patch, SP, CU, or anything else until it's at least a month old. Of course, non of that helped my sp_Webtask apps when they came out with 2k SP4. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply