Windows Server 2016

• I am planning for a new SQL Server 2016 install. I have tested on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I'd like to go for Gold and install onto Windows Server 2016 when it's released later this month.

Will it work or is there likely to be a Service Pack required.

• I'd be stunned/amazed if it "didn't work", but Windows Server 2016 is not mentioned on this page and therefore I guess it's not guaranteed.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I would wait until you see updated guidance from Microsoft indicating it's supported on the new OS. I know it won't work on Nano. Nano doesn't have all the required components.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• So far so good.

I now have SQL Server 2016 ( Developer ) running on Windows Server 2016.

• I have not ran SQL 2016 on Windows Server 2016 but Microsoft is pretty good about warning you during the install if the version is supported on the OS. I did run across this white paper a few weeks back:

SQL Server 2016 and Windows Server 2016: Better Together Technical white paper (April 2016)

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Well SQL 2016 supports Tlog on NVRAM only with Windows 2016 per Microsoft; therefore, it better be supported.

Also MS stats SQL 2016 is supported on Win 2016:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply