Windows Cluster name with more than 15 characters - Listener creation failed

• Hi All,

I created a windows cluster for testing purpose and gave it a name longer than 15 characters.
    Windows accepted it, though it gave warning, cluster was up and running.
    I added an AG later and everything was working fine except for "Listener". 
    Listener creation failed with error "Cluster may not be up or don't have permission" etc.
    When check logs, found some entries with "$". (It truncated some of the characters from cluster name and added a trailing "$" to it.)
    Later I renamed windows cluster name by right clicking and reduced the name length to less than 15.
    However still not able to create listener and get same sort of error.

My question is that,

What internally happens when we create windows cluster by a name with more than 15 characters ?.
    Why did only Listener creation failed, when everything else was working fine ?

Thanks !.

• Are you sure CNO ( cluster name object ) has enough permissions into DNS? Were you successfully able to create listener with less than 15 characters?

• curious_sqldba - Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:02 PM

Are you sure CNO ( cluster name object ) has enough permissions into DNS? Were you successfully able to create listener with less than 15 characters?

Hi,

No I was not able to create.
    Just to clarify, Listener name I tried was less than 10 characters only. It's windows cluster name that was created with more than 15 characters.

Later I recreated windows cluster with another short name and everything worked fine , including listener creation.

Thanks.

• I think this is down to maintaining compatibility with NetBIOS, but there is a 15 character limit on NetBIOS names, and, as a cluster is a similar object, the same limit applies See, inter alia, https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/909264/naming-conventions-in-active-directory-for-computers-domains-sites-and

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply