Will ChatGPT Write Our Queries?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Will ChatGPT Write Our Queries?

• At this point, ChatGPT answers a broad range of questions based on the vast public domain of information and consensus of opinion that exists in the internet. It is impressive, but for it to write a SQL query, you first have to provide a schema and explain the data model.

But there is no reason why the AI could not be trained to become a subject matter expert on your organization's proprietary database, which would make it an order of magnitude more useful.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I agree that ChatGTP operates from a "consensus of opinion that exists in the internet".  While I'm equally impressed as Eric, that means that it's frequently seriously incorrect, just like the opinions rendered by the general public. 😀

My biggest concern is that, unlike a Google or other search engine inquiry, it produces basically one "opinion" of it's own and it currently expresses that opinion in an overconfident manner, just like humans do on the internet.  At least with an internet search, you can see more than one "opinion" to make the user ask "Is this actually correct"?

As for "helper speed", if you want anything close to what you need insofar as naming and data-typing goes, then, as Eric points out, you have to provide it with such information.  I found that it's faster just to write the code than to ask ChatGTP.

Still, many will use it for such things.  I think that's to their detriment but it will improve their "Copy'n'Paste" skills and provide a good uptick on forum questions that follow the basic pattern of "This code produces the following error/incorrect values.. what am I doing wrong". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I loved the way the summary displayed for Jeff's response under the article was

I agree that ChatGTP operates from a "consensus of opinion that exists in the internet".  While I'm... Jeff Moden

Many a true word said in jest.

When ChatGPT can model the "It Depends" that is when I'll worry.  Writing basic queries won't be a problem.  It is understanding all the factors a DBA considers when writing the complex queries that will be the trick.  The thing is, some of those factors involve looking at things you would be extremely reluctant to expose even to a broader internal audience let alone the internet.

• I remember back when LINQ and Entity Framework were going to write all our queries for us, but it didn't pan out that way.

It's sort like saying that self serve online trading eliminates the need for stock brokers and financial advisors.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I don't think too many people expect this to write queries, but rather do some suggesting and better guide people. It's easy to say these tools don't help, but they do help with autocomplete, refactoring patterns, etc. It is up to the person to decide when to ignore them, but they are helpful.

That being said, the collective wisdom of how we do things is often correct, but also wrong in many situations. That's also how a lot of people are in life, so it's an interesting debate about whether this is better or worse when we have such a varied level of quality without these tools.

• Heh... "To err is human.... to really *&*&%^$%! things up, you need a computer". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• In my line of work (marketing), I've already found ChatGPT to be useful for times when I'm dealing with some writer's block or I'm otherwise just a little unsure how to get started or where to go with a writing task. I'm not too fearful it (or successors) will do my job for me soon, or even not so soon. There are still too many variables, like understanding the audience, your brand, and your offerings, for these chatbots to take over.

The concern will be is when each company has a dedicated AI that knows the company as well as (probably better) than I do.

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply