Why would SQL Server not run?

• I've got SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition installed on my desktop. I don't get in it frequently, I'll admit. However, when I try to fire up Azure Data Services or SSMS I want it to be there, ready to go. Today, it wasn't. I got this error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 2)

So, I did a search and found that I had to get into SQL Server Configuration Manager and see what was going on there. I found SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) there, with a state of "Automatic", but was stopped. I don't understand how it could have a state of Automatic, but be stopped?

Rod

• Hi,

The answer to your question will reside in the event logs of the machine or SQL. When you start it, does it remain started for a while ?

Anyway, I would not suggest to leave it started if you do not use it often. SQL Server eats a lot of memory resources.

• Gamleur84 - Monday, March 4, 2019 4:43 PM

Hi,

The answer to your question will reside in the event logs of the machine or SQL. When you start it, does it remain started for a while ?

Anyway, I would not suggest to leave it started if you do not use it often. SQL Server eats a lot of memory resources.

Ah, so it would be best to use something (not sure what) so that it would only run, once its called upon to run. Correct?

Rod

• I do not know the nature of your development, but I would leave the service set to "Manual" and start/stop on-demand if you do not need SQL Server on daily basis. This is just because SQL is a resources eater, especially if you have not configured it properly. I suggest you also configure the Max Memory setting : https://www.brentozar.com/blitz/max-memory

• How about the rest of the services in SQL Server Configuration Manager? Right now I've got SSIS, SQL Server Launchpad, SSAS. SSRS and SQL Server Browser all set to start mode of Automatic. I would think I should probably set some, or all, of those to Manual too, if I'm setting SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) to Manual.

Rod

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply