Why should i go for MS-SQL server not for Oracle and MySQL ?

• Wayne West (3/5/2015)

podmate (3/4/2015)

...I would write a screed about how slow SSRS is, how bloated the report files are and how painful the report builder/bids tools are to use, but then you can compare SSRS to Crystal and realize that they both blow chunks.

Which is why MS Access is my go-to tool for developing reporting systems against SQL Server. I've used, and loathed, Crystal since it was bundled with SQL Server 4.21 in the '90s. Fortunately, as far as I know, they don't have CR at my current gig.

We'll both take some heat on this but I agree... SSRS leaves a whole lot to be desired and I'd rather use Access than SSRS. Haven't played with Crystal but I've had to build programs to cleanup the thousands of temp files that the old Crystal used to produce (1 for each page rendered).

On a similar note, I wish MS would have given the same functionality to PIVOT that's available in Access. It's much more like I would have expected in Access... easy to use, self-realizing in many cases, and incredibly powerful.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Recently the MySQL world fractured into two camps. The MySQL camp and the MariaDB camp. you don't find a phenomenon like that that in either Oracle or SQL Server.

Look around at your client machines. What OS are they running? If yours is a web app then the database itself will make very little difference to the end user. Now if your apps are not web connected but are desktop apps then we have other things to talk about. If your end users are all running Windows 7 or 8 the SQL Server has the client drivers built right into your users machines. For Oracle you have to go to each client and install the Oracle drivers. That is also true with MySQL.

There are so many good and bad aspects of each of these that it tough to give a meaningful short answer. We could debate each of them in turn and still not come up with a "best in all cases" ending.

Curious as to why you are not looking at PostGreSQL?

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Coming from the Linux side of things, you can't really compete with fine-tuned Linux stacks in other areas such as web servers and languages like Python, Ruby and the lot. But, SQL Server in my short experience with it for data warehousing and analytical reporting has been so much better than MySQL.

For me, it's more about the use of the database engine than trying to vaguely compare MySQL to SQL to Oracle. That's because if I'm writing a custom content management system. I'm more likely to choose MySQL over SQL Server just because the LAMP stack by itself is packaged up and deployed easy with the flick of a switch. I can have Ubuntu, Apache, MySQL and PHP up and running in no time. And it's all entirely free on my box. It's ready to go and easy to run with.

However, if I want to house some data and start to actually get serious about my data storage and management needs, I may be tempted to roll towards SQL Server a lot more than MySQL. Regardless of the pros and cons of SSIS, SSAS and the lot, they all tie together under one flag as many have mentioned. I can create an ETL system rather easily in SSIS. I can start modeling out some OLAP Cubes in SSAS and if any of the numerous reporting engines are off the table, I can start churning out some reporting in SSRS, Excel or Access.

But, MySQL is far from me these days. There is MongoDB, CouchDB, Hadoop (Hive) and more out there to experience too. All of these are gaining lots of traction depending on the needs.

• According to my knowledge,

Login page of Facebook was using SoldiDB (IBM Product). But not sure for current Backend.

• After reading all the post and having around 6 years of experience as DBA (MSSQL and MySQL) below is the conclusion:

1. If you are running your databases on Windows environment than MSSQL Server will be better choice (Not the Best) as per compatibility and ease of smooth run.

2. If you are running your databases on Unix\Linux environment than MySQL(For freeware) OR Oracle (If you wanna by licence) will be good option.

3. If your environment needs just some basic database structure and you dont want to spend money than free product like MySQL is good option.

• As with all things speak to anyone from the various camps and they will tell you their option is better, I remember being told by an Ingres developer that it was better than both Oracle and MSSQL, in some cases it was, in others not so much, especially the SQL editor.

In my experience you pick the right tool for the job, provided its within the budget you have.

There is also a number of hidden costs, such as retraining, and re-skilling, licence costs for Dev, UAT and Prod environments, which can in some cases may double or triple the cost of the installation of one Prod server.

Not to mention all the additional tools you might have to purchase to support and develop the application.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply