Why rebuild statistics on large, older tables?

• This question may be purely academic. But take a large table that's collected years of data already, hundreds of thousands of rows. The law of large numbers dictates in that the data contained therin will follow a normal distribution.

Statistics keeps track of indexed and key columns, and assuming we don't have a bunch of varchar(255) index colums, we shouldn't see any surprizes.

Aside from keeping a count of the number of rows in the table is it very important to maintain statistics regularly on these types of tables, and if so why?

Keith Wiggans

• Have the best of both worlds... from Books Online...

In SQL Server 2005, sp_updatestats updates only those statistics that require updating based on the rowmodctr information in the sys.sysindexes compatibility view; therefore, preventing unnecessary updates of unchanged items.

I'm not sure if that means that you need a "0" in the rowmodctr column or if there's some percentage threshold. I do know that left to themselves, statistics update themselves when something like 20% of the data has changed. Not sure if that applies to sp_updatestats but it seems reasonable that it may.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• kwiggans (4/30/2010)

This question may be purely academic...

No, you raise a number of important points. Rather than try to summarise an entire White Paper here, forgive me for just providing a link:

Statistics and the Query Optimiser

It is a reasonably long document, but quite information-dense, and you will find all the details you seek there.

Prepare for some surprises 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply