Why Haven’t You Upgraded SQL Server?

• g.britton - Friday, December 29, 2017 2:55 AM

Kathi Kellenberger - Saturday, December 23, 2017 11:22 AM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Why Haven’t You Upgraded SQL Server?

Just got SQL Server 2012 certified in 2015 in our org.  (large, financial services company).  Ultra conservative.  rigorous testing of new releases. thousands of instances.  huge cost and risk.  Regulatory concerns. still trying to migrate the last of Windows 2003 and SQL 2005.

personally, I'd rather see Windows 10 upgrade first but again, with 100,000 instances .... huge testing and costs

100,000 instances?  What ever are they all used for?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:03 PM

g.britton - Friday, December 29, 2017 2:55 AM

Kathi Kellenberger - Saturday, December 23, 2017 11:22 AM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item Why Haven’t You Upgraded SQL Server?

Just got SQL Server 2012 certified in 2015 in our org.  (large, financial services company).  Ultra conservative.  rigorous testing of new releases. thousands of instances.  huge cost and risk.  Regulatory concerns. still trying to migrate the last of Windows 2003 and SQL 2005.

personally, I'd rather see Windows 10 upgrade first but again, with 100,000 instances .... huge testing and costs

100,000 instances?  What ever are they all used for?

100,000 windows 7 instances, that is!

• Summer90 - Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:10 PM

davidhoeflein - Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:05 PM

I would like it if we could just keep buying ongoing support for as long as the product works for us. This way, we get to keep using what works and Microsoft gets to make money.  Eventually Microsoft might make something that works enough better than SQL Server 2008 R2 to make it worth the pain and cost of upgrade.

Not going to happen. Eventually they will be supporting too many versions and their support folks will be way overwhelmed.  They already support SQL 2008  2008R2  2012  2014   2016 and now 2017.   Do you know of any software vendor that fully supports all versions they have ever made that are Enterprise systems forever?

I understand. In the long run, resistance is futile. But Microsoft's frequent releases, changing license policies and difficult migration simply invites resistance. I think we can resist upgrading for another 5 years and decide then whether to migrate to the newest Microsoft offering or another SQL database. Oracle perhaps.

• davidhoeflein - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 4:27 PM

I understand. In the long run, resistance is futile. But Microsoft's frequent releases, changing license policies and difficult migration simply invites resistance. I think we can resist upgrading for another 5 years and decide then whether to migrate to the newest Microsoft offering or another SQL database. Oracle perhaps.

But long term support stability IS a substantial sales point, and a powerful one. Most SQL users are not looking for more and more bells and whistles. The LAST thing we want is to rip out a core system every few years just to stay current (we have AS400 systems that are many years old).

It is in process that much of our stuff will be moved to Oracle over the next few years, not just the database but the entire unified system: accounting, payroll, inventory, purchasing, etc. rather than having a database and a bunch of 3rd party applications.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Bit late to the debate but my thoughts. I see SQL Server 2016 as one of the great versions. My definition includes 4.2 , 7 (maybe ) , 2000 , 2005 ( just ) , 2008 R2. I see 2012 & 2014 as experiments and 2017 as 2016 +.

I had huge  problems importing an R2 SSIS Package into 2012 & 2014 that I completely rewrote it. I like the separation of SSMS from the SQL Server Install. I run SSMS 17.3 with my 2016 Database.

I now have the luxury of a Boss who wants the Latest version of everything so I'm not arguing and cheering him on.

I also have  a  2013 / 2000 system that Management is too scared to migrate or doesn't want to spend the money even though it transitions ( DTS ) financials to the G/L.

• I still want to know why Mr. Britton has 100,000 instances. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:48 AM

I still want to know why Mr. Britton has 100,000 instances. 😉

Obviously more money than sense? :Whistling:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:55 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:48 AM

I still want to know why Mr. Britton has 100,000 instances. 😉

Obviously more money than sense? :Whistling:

I can't blame anyone for thinking that but I know him from his posts on this and other forums.  He's a really smart cookie and something like this wouldn't be his fault.  That's part of what has my curiosity.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply