Why dbid is 1 for master, 2 for tempdb, 3 for model and 4 for msdb?

• SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:34 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:11 PM

SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:34 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:05 AM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:42 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Friday, November 17, 2017 1:29 PM

ZZartin - Friday, November 17, 2017 1:17 PM

Why not?

Do you know the sequence is like this?

It's an interesting question that you ask, especially since the startup order is Master, Resource, Model, TempDB, and MSDB.  My question is, why is it important to you?

Trying to comprehend the reason and the goal of this question, like questioning north south east and west, kilos and punds etc.
    😎

If you can't make anything out of it, then the best option is to ignore it. 🙂

You better look up "persona non grata"
    😎
    but then again, you'll probably not get it

Sure. You also should away from Forums as you do not have the answers or eager to response of things. But each response counts you one mark, so continue to respond, I won't mind brother. Forum is to help on questions from others, but you better look up:

"persona non grata"
    😎

All he did was exclaim that he doesn't understand (comprehend) why someone would ask such a question.  You're on the verge of alienating a couple of folks that can help you with much more important questions over something trivial.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:19 PM

SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 2:34 PM

Why not?

It's an interesting question that you ask, especially since the startup order is Master, Resource, Model, TempDB, and MSDB.  My question is, why is it important to you?

Trying to comprehend the reason and the goal of this question, like questioning north south east and west, kilos and punds etc.
    😎

😎

Sure. You also should away from Forums as you do not have the answers or eager to response of things. But each response counts you one mark, so continue to respond, I won't mind brother. Forum is to help on questions from others, but you better look up:

"persona non grata"
    😎

All he did was exclaim that he doesn't understand (comprehend) why someone would ask such a question.  You're on the verge of alienating a couple of folks that can help you with much more important questions over something trivial.

Jeff, thanks for the note. I did not realize that the forum has turned out from technical discussion to a personal attacking site. Many answers are available by searching over google, but posting to such forums are having an intention that one expert would provide some guidance of questions. If incase you feel that the question posted are not something which you want to answer, why is needed to stepping in and give any answer? If you feel that the question is trivial and you hate such question to reply, better stay away. Thoughts?

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:30 PM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:19 PM

Why not?

😎

😎

"persona non grata"
    😎

Jeff, thanks for the note. I did not realize that the forum has turned out from technical discussion to a personal attacking site. Many answers are available by searching over google, but posting to such forums are having an intention that one expert would provide some guidance of questions. If incase you feel that the question posted are not something which you want to answer, why is needed to stepping in and give any answer? If you feel that the question is trivial and you hate such question to reply, better stay away. Thoughts?

It hasn't.  You totally took his comment the wrong way.  Look at your post to me.  I could have taken your "no interest" comment the same way you're taking his.  You even took my last answer wrong.  I wasn't saying that your question was trivial... I was saying that your indignity to a return comment was trivial.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:44 PM

SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:30 PM

Why not?

😎

😎

"persona non grata"
    😎

It hasn't.  You totally took his comment the wrong way.  Look at your post to me.  I could have taken your "no interest" comment the same way you're taking his.  You even took my last answer wrong.  I wasn't saying that your question was trivial... I was saying that your indignity to a return comment was trivial.

I would again comment the same thing. This is a technical forum. Guys like me have rights to ask "Technical" question and if the question is reviewed by any expert he can totally comment the question asked by me was a technical question (but not any personal abuse or any SPAM). If I need to get a response from senior experts like with you full form insults then I have rights to say that " if you feel that the question is inevitable and trivial as you mentioned, why not staying away to answer the question to increase the "Points: 427431 Visits: 43430". 
    Anyways, if you do not like the question, please ask the site administrator to take off the post marking as "SPAM" or "Unwanted".

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:05 PM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:44 PM

SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 4:30 PM

Why not?

😎

😎

"persona non grata"
    😎

I would again comment the same thing. This is a technical forum. Guys like me have rights to ask "Technical" question and if the question is reviewed by any expert he can totally comment the question asked by me was a technical question (but not any personal abuse or any SPAM). If I need to get a response from senior experts like with you full form insults then I have rights to say that " if you feel that the question is inevitable and trivial as you mentioned, why not staying away to answer the question to increase the "Points: 427431 Visits: 43430". 
    Anyways, if you do not like the question, please ask the site administrator to take off the post marking as "SPAM" or "Unwanted".

We also have the right to ask "technical" questions like "WHY do you want to know this".  In no way did you suffer any personal abuse on than self inflicted.  And, you're not listening.  I never said your original question was trivia and that's why I answered itl... it was your response to a trivial comment that's trivial and you continue to do so.

Anyway, I'm all done here.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:42 AM

Why not?

TempDB starts up before Model. Very slightly before, but still before (discovered when I was writing article on reasons why SQL won't start), at least in 2012. Though, without traceflags and startup switches, tempDB is usually logged as starting up well after all of the user databases, probably because the startup process is in parallel, so it's not something you can easily see.

Though, to be honest, the likely reason they're numbered that way is because that's how Sybase implemented it back in the very first versions of the Sybase DB engine some 30 odd years ago. Don't go looking for deep meaning and reasons where there are none. I suggest not spending time digging into minutia like this, it's more important to understand behaviours than quiz-game style facts.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, November 20, 2017 4:33 AM

Why not?

TempDB starts up before Model. Very slightly before, but still before (discovered when I was writing article on reasons why SQL won't start), at least in 2012. Though, without traceflags and startup switches, tempDB is usually logged as starting up well after all of the user databases, probably because the startup process is in parallel, so it's not something you can easily see.

Not according to the SQL Server log file on my box.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, November 20, 2017 10:10 AM

GilaMonster - Monday, November 20, 2017 4:33 AM

Why not?

Not according to the SQL Server log file on my box.

Monitoring the I/O, normally more is happening on the tempdb side but since AFAIK model objects are created in tempdb, I thought the latter would start before the former.
    😎

• SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:36 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, November 17, 2017 2:11 PM

By design.  Those are the four system databases that every instance of SQL Server has, makes since that they would have the first four database ids (1-4) and it makes since that master would be 1 and tempdb 2.

Now, why?

Lynn, I think based on your response all answer to any product related question would be that "By design". No? For example, lets say if there is any backup failed (random example), then the answer should be "by design" ...yes  and that is because it is failing or any other question related to any product would be "by design". I liked your answer honestly.

That is just stupid.  Saying that a backup failed by design?  Getting the failure message, yes, it needs to be designed to provide feedback when there is a failure.  The failure of the backup itself, that would not be by design.

I provided you an answer that makes sense.  You want the real answer, you may have to ask someone on the SQL Server team at Microsoft.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, November 20, 2017 10:48 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:36 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, November 17, 2017 2:11 PM

By design.  Those are the four system databases that every instance of SQL Server has, makes since that they would have the first four database ids (1-4) and it makes since that master would be 1 and tempdb 2.

Now, why?

Lynn, I think based on your response all answer to any product related question would be that "By design". No? For example, lets say if there is any backup failed (random example), then the answer should be "by design" ...yes  and that is because it is failing or any other question related to any product would be "by design". I liked your answer honestly.

That is just stupid.  Saying that a backup failed by design?  Getting the failure message, yes, it needs to be designed to provide feedback when there is a failure.  The failure of the backup itself, that would not be by design.

I provided you an answer that makes sense.  You want the real answer, you may have to ask someone on the SQL Server team at Microsoft.

I think we all should stop posting questions to Forums. As one line answer to any question is " By design ".

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Monday, November 20, 2017 11:47 AM

I think we all should stop posting questions to Forums.

Now that is a really good idea
    😎

You have asked more than 500 questions on the forums for the last eight years, many times similar questions, often questions which are hard to understand but without exceptions, everyone has tried to answer the best they could. Give it a thought mate!

• Good Answer. You increased your score by 1 more point. Good Jobl

Thanks.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, November 20, 2017 11:59 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Monday, November 20, 2017 11:47 AM

😎

You have asked more than 500 questions on the forums for the last eight years, many times similar questions, often questions which are hard to understand but without exceptions, everyone has tried to answer the best they could. Give it a thought mate!

Instead of investigating time on how many question I have posted, why dont you spend your time on replying to the questions properly with a good answer. That you not only can help the guys but also can increase your knowledge. Or are you so rowdy to everytime?

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Monday, November 20, 2017 12:03 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, November 20, 2017 11:59 AM

😎

Instead of investigating time on how many question I have posted, why dont you spend your time on replying to the questions properly with a good answer. That you not only can help the guys but also can increase your knowledge. Or are you so rowdy to everytime?

Also you are wasting your time in IT world. YOu should think to change your profession and move to defense where you personal attacks would really help the nation.

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Monday, November 20, 2017 12:05 PM

SQL-DBA-01 - Monday, November 20, 2017 12:03 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, November 20, 2017 11:59 AM

😎

Also you are wasting your time in IT world. YOu should think to change your profession and move to defense where you personal attacks would really help the nation.

Now you owe me a keyboard, couldn't help but spill the coffee all over it when I saw your answer, naughty naughty!
    😎

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply