Why Be an MCP?

• There are lots of reasons, although I wouldn't try to tell you that being an MCP will substantially increase your earning power. Going the extra steps to get an MCDBA, MCSE, or MCSD would be a better move in that area.

However there is one new benefit which is a joint venture of SQLServerCentral.com, PASS, and Microsoft. Read today's press release for more information on that.

We've written some articles in the past on getting certified: the Point/Counterpoint debate between Andy and I, my Career Advice for DBAs, Brian Kelley's Getting Certified, and more. In the March issue of The SQL Server Standard we'll hear from someone who achieved quite a few certifications and his take on their value.

Is it right for you? Who knows. It certainly is something to be proud of as is any accomplishment in which you've invested some time and effort. It won't get you a job, but it can help distinguish you from others if you've got some experience behind you. I've seen it make the difference between getting an interview and not as HR screeners often toss candidates resumes without some required certification.

And while I wouldn't think that passing the test makes you a better DBA, I would argue that if you put some time into studying the product for the exam, reading sites like this one, and practicing, you'll definitely learn a few things you might never have known.

Agree, disagree? Hit the forum and respond.

Steve Jones

• My personal view on the certification is, it is nice to have feature in you rather than a required feature. Having being in the database area for quite some time I have seen many “non-certifiants” are doing well in the field it is not an essential to have MCP /MCDBA or what ever. Having a certification will do world of good at the interviews

My Blog: http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com/

• I would like to know of all those certified people

a) Did you sit exams at the end of a formal paid for course?

b) Did you personally pay or did your employer?

To get an MSCE you have to sit 6 exams. Unless you are working in the specific areas that are covered by the exams it is very difficult to get the required knowledge and experience without resorting to formal courses.

• Speaking for myself:

I committed myself to do the MCDBA this year. My employer will sponsor this. I think it's not that expensive. Just about $150 per exams, when I remember correct. I am not planning for a course. I might consider some test software, but I haven't decided on this yet. I think this would be kinda cheating. I'm a bit uneasy on which way to go. Developing or administrating. We will not be using .Net here, so developing might prove difficult because of the lack of software. Administrating won't be easier either as I can't get hands on a Windows server here.

Anyway, I don't expect certification to change my life. To me, it's just a bit more than fun. But I admit, that I'm curious to see what this MCP sticker will look like

And fwiw, a certification might open some doors which would be locked without. Simply because of a formal pre-selection which candidate to choose for an interview.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• When I did the original SQL 6.5 courses the person taking the course warned us that the exams had some answers that had to be answered a particular way and if you didn't answer in the exact way specified by Microsoft your answer would be judged wrong.

It was like being back at college. You give the answer that would satisfy the prejudices of your lecturer rather than the bald truth.

I get the impression that to someone in IT the exams and certification don't mean a great deal.

If your date of birth was before, or slightly after England won the world cup then the certification becomes necessary to get past the recruitment consultants.

• England won the world cup

Must be those Wembley days, right???

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Ah 1966, yes indeed. I was conceived during the celebrations!

• From my experience, certification is something that can't help as much as not being certified can hurt you.

The trouble is, you never know how or when it will hurt you - and sometimes you don't realize that it has, but it does. I picked up my first certification after being unemployed for two months. I had a successful interview a week later, and landed the position the following week.

Did certification get me the job? I don't think so. Did it get me the interview? Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Did certification get me the job? I don't think so. Did it get me the interview? Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

That's what I meant. Once you're invited for the interview, any certification is nothing but a piece of paper.

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I definitely thinking certification is a good idea.

For one, it points out areas that you might never see in your day-to-day job and therefore, not even know about it. Not all of us are lucky enough to have jobs that have us using every component of a particular product!

Secondly, it shows your current or prospective employer that you are dedicated to your career and are willing to put in the time to stay current. It has been my experience that the majority of IT professionals don't bother doing this once they've found a stable job. I think that is a mistake. You never know what is around the corner these days!

I think the method of certifcation is a personal choice. I have been to several official courses but have found that they are not worth the money. I much prefer to read through a book, spend some time on the product (especially if it is new to me!) and use practice exams. Again, this is just my opinion.

• Being an MCSE got me into interviews because it was required by those doing the hiring.  However, one thing that MCSE's get you is "the stupidest stumper question from hell" in any interview. 

I self studied for MSCE by buying the books and Transcenders.  It took 8 months.  All together it cost me ~$600 for the exams and I got my employer to pay for that.  I definitely learned a lot and got back into pushing myself to study after a 13 year hiatus from my Bachelor's degree.  The MCSE exams got me so motivated that I went back a year later and went for my Masters.

Even so, sometimes I wonder if my MCSE or my Masters did me a whole helluva a lot of good.  In the end, I think the job market and experience have shaped my career more.  In actuality, I feel held back living in the area I do.  There's just no where to go.  Truthfully, after I got my MCSE, I never went back to full time systems administration.  I ended up as DBA/developer.  Go figure.  That's all that was out there for jobs.  Did my Masters help with DBA/developer stuff?  Sort of.  I learned more about SQL just by reading Books Online.

So, I guess what I would have to say is that all this junk looks good on paper, but personally, it's not been all that rewarding for me.  I don't mean to sound too depressing 'cause I am proud of what I've accomplished but it does not make me as a person, and for that matter, a valuable employee.  Maybe I've been reading too much of "The Power of Intention", http://www.drwaynedyer.com/home/index.cfm

• Well guys in my experience, certification has helped get my foot in the door for a lot of interviews.  Unfortunately while working at different companies, certifications have done nothing for me in terms of professional recognition or monetary return.  I have obtained various certifications over the years, and now I just do it for the sake of learning how to do my job better.

Just my 2 cents

Regards

Terry 

• I work for a consulting company that is also a Microsoft Gold Partner. To be a MS partner at all, you need to have a certain number of certified personnel. Additionally, certs are a selling point for our company. The company used to give raises for certs but I don't know if they still do or not because I haven't gotten a new one in so long

If you're looking for a non-conulting job, you should probably pay special attention to the questions you're asked about your certs in an interview. If they they take the cert as proof of knowledge, you may want to reconsider working there because you have no idea how many paper tigers you're going to have to work with.

I have also heard about people who are snobs against people with certs, automatically assuming paper tiger status rather than a genuine professional. In that case, I tend to assume that they have other ego issues too and would avoid that position if at all possible.

I can't see where certification hurts anything and I don't think anyone here puts too much into it. It does lend additional credibility in the workplace but you'll eventually have to back it up.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• I may have skipped through this email too quickly, but I did go to several links and did not find any information on MCP certifications.  Are there specific MCP certifications you would suggestion for someone who may be interested in the MCDBA or MCSA or MCSD tracks?  Thanks....

• Overview of Microsoft Certifications:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp

I would pick based on your area of interest and/or experience. I started with a SQL Server 7.0 test after I had a few years of experience and that gave me the confidence and encouragement to continue. Just start with something you know.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply