Who's Got Your Data?

• Miles Neale (7/9/2013)

Fo...

It no longer is an issue of me not doing anything wrong and having nothing to hide. The issue is I want others to know only those things I want them to know to protect my privacy and life. I want some expectation of privacy to exist with no unauthorized collection of data about me and mine.

You are so right about it not just being about doing something wrong. The internet has quite a memory and you don't know who is accessing it. Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like. Or perhaps you're involved in a legal issue like a civil suit and a lawyer finds something to leverage your credibility. (Look how an inappropriate remark from 25 years ago has returned to haunt a celebrity)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like.

Hence the need for aliases. Odd, how the Internet, which was supposed to advance the free flow of information, is also making its users schizophrenic.

• jay-h (7/9/2013)

Miles Neale (7/9/2013)

Fo...

It no longer is an issue of me not doing anything wrong and having nothing to hide. The issue is I want others to know only those things I want them to know to protect my privacy and life. I want some expectation of privacy to exist with no unauthorized collection of data about me and mine.

You are so right about it not just being about doing something wrong. The internet has quite a memory and you don't know who is accessing it. Perhaps you may pontificate perfectly legally on controversial subjects that interest you, religion, politics, gun policy, abortion, whatever. And down the road, you're applying for an apartment, or a job and someone finds something they don't like. Or perhaps you're involved in a legal issue like a civil suit and a lawyer finds something to leverage your credibility. (Look how an inappropriate remark from 25 years ago has returned to haunt a celebrity)

Thanks jay.

To take what you have said one step further if I could, it does not even have to be a controversial subject. You could take a stand on some method of building a SQL View of a complex collection of data from various joined tables and the indexing of that view that is proven to work great in the reading of the view but takes a long time to build in a bach process every evening. And since you are all for rapid access and see the justification for the large batch window to build that structure you are labeled as one who wastes computer time and resources. Then when you defend yourself you are called argumentative and a rebel.

It can get worse while all the time you are trying to make it better.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Miles Neale (7/9/2013)

To take what you have said one step further if I could, it does not even have to be a controversial subject. You could take a stand on some method of building a SQL View of a complex collection of data from various joined tables and the indexing of that view that is proven to work great in the reading of the view but takes a long time to build in a batch process every evening. And since you are all for rapid access and see the justification for the large batch window to build that structure you are labeled as one who wastes computer time and resources. Then when you defend yourself you are called argumentative and a rebel.

It could be even worse. Two guys in black suits with badges show up at your home when you're alone, or at work and say we need to talk alone.

They take you into the room with a thick file, never opened, and say "We know what you've been doing. If you don't help us we'll reveal this to everyone you know." Do you have the guts and a pair of testicles to resist or stand up for your rights? Or do you have the typical guilty conscience even if you can't think what they're talking about?

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• It could be even worse. Two guys in black suits with badges show up at your home when you're alone, or at work and say we need to talk alone.

Which is why there is a Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution. There can be no unreasonable search nor seizure of information on the part of the government; further, you have a right to an attorney to be present during such 'interviews' as you've described.

And although I advocate it only as a last resort, there is also a Second Amendment. It would be the last refuge of an oppressed people, but that is exactly why it exists.

• Craig-315134 (7/11/2013)

It could be even worse. Two guys in black suits with badges show up at your home when you're alone, or at work and say we need to talk alone.

Which is why there is a Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution. There can be no unreasonable search nor seizure of information on the part of the government; further, you have a right to an attorney to be present during such 'interviews' as you've described.

And although I advocate it only as a last resort, there is also a Second Amendment. It would be the last refuge of an oppressed people, but that is exactly why it exists.

Jim's scenario is why you shouldn't reveal anything to law enforcement (in the US) without a lawyer. You never know what might have happened nearby or recently that is the reason you were asked to be talked to. However, despite the 4th amendment, you can be taken in without reasons given and held for a period of time.

I go think that the 4th amendment (and various court decisions later) exist to prevent extended interrogations, but in the US, the Patriot act can preclude this. And some of the decisions taken with the last 4 administrations support this. Which is scary, and not the direction the US government, or any civilized government, should move, IMHO.

• I agree completely, Steve.

The erosion of our civil rights and fundamental freedoms are most worrisome.

• There are some videos on YouTube that explain why you should never say anything to the police! Not even with a lawyer present and i think it is just as applicable to this topic. They go in great details as to why and this is acually a lawschool course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4_EdPwTkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1t3vtr0kxk

Enjoy...if that is the proper phrase!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply