Who's going to SQL Bits in Liverpool?

• Finally got a chance to go this year - doing Wednesday to Saturday.

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • I'd love to go to this, but have no SQL-y friends and get v anxious in unfamiliar places where I don't know anyone! (Never been to Liverpool)

I'll have to change both those things over the next year πŸ™‚

• Mark Cowne (4/27/2016)

Finally got a chance to go this year - doing Wednesday to Saturday.

Excellent, say hi.

• tindog (4/27/2016)

I'd love to go to this, but have no SQL-y friends and get v anxious in unfamiliar places where I don't know anyone! (Never been to Liverpool)

This is a good chance to make some friends. If not here, look for the SQL Relay tour and hit one of those events.

• Mark Cowne (4/27/2016)

Finally got a chance to go this year - doing Wednesday to Saturday.

Track me down and say Hello. I get there Thursday afternoon (assuming the trains work).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/27/2016)

tindog (4/27/2016)

I'd love to go to this, but have no SQL-y friends and get v anxious in unfamiliar places where I don't know anyone! (Never been to Liverpool)

This is a good chance to make some friends. If not here, look for the SQL Relay tour and hit one of those events.

Yeah, another vote for SQL Relay. Not sure if I'll make any of them this year (schedule's aren't set), but I'll sure try.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (4/27/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/27/2016)

tindog (4/27/2016)

Yeah, another vote for SQL Relay. Not sure if I'll make any of them this year (schedule's aren't set), but I'll sure try.

+1 for Relay. I've every intention of getting there this year, schedule permitting. If you decide to go to the same one as me, you're welcome to look me up so you're not on your own.

PS As a former resident of the extended Manchester area, I can say you aren't missing much in Liverpool...

That's a joke before I get slated :w00t:. It's a surprisingly nice city with some great buildings and well worth a look.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• tindog (4/27/2016)

Go on, do it! I'm the same in that I don't know anybody either, but I'm forcing myself to go to a thing in London in June. Go on!

• Beatrix Kiddo (4/28/2016)

tindog (4/27/2016)

Go on, do it! I'm the same in that I don't know anybody either, but I'm forcing myself to go to a thing in London in June. Go on!

Gosh, I'll seek you out and buy you both a beer - if you get to either event. The single biggest reason I went into contracting 25 years ago was to defeat the exact same issues - by going toe to toe with them.

There are some amazing people in the community and fear not, very few of them are attention-seeking party animals.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (4/28/2016)fear not, very few of them are attention-seeking party animals.

πŸ˜€ Yeah, I think non-DBAs would definitely say that about us. I might see you at Inside SQL then, if you're going to that.

tindog, you're not off the hook.

ChrisM@Work (4/28/2016)fear not, very few of them are attention-seeking party animals.

πŸ˜€ Yeah, I think non-DBAs would definitely say that about us. I might see you at Inside SQL then, if you're going to that.

Totally agree with Chris...

I've met so many people over the years at various SQL events. Nicest bunch etc... Even Grant isn't that scary πŸ˜‰

And if all else fails come talk to the helpers and organizers...

Rodders...

• Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone...the thought still terrifies me but I'll look at other events and see if I can work up the courage to go πŸ˜€

ChrisM@Work (4/28/2016)fear not, very few of them are attention-seeking party animals.

I'm going to Inside SQL. What's not to like? Some tough choices to make though:

http://insidesql.co.uk/sessions/now-where-does-that-estimate-come-from-400/

http://insidesql.co.uk/sessions/powerful-t-sql-improvements-that-reduce-query-complexity/

http://insidesql.co.uk/sessions/advanced-t-sql-technique-400/

http://insidesql.co.uk/sessions/why-are-we-waiting/

http://insidesql.co.uk/sessions/inside-sql-server-indexes/

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I know, at pretty much every session there are two talks I want to go to simultaneously!

• Heading home after a great two days in Liverpool, very good to see you guys again, finally met Gianluca and Hugo, saw Chris, Grant, Steve, Erland, Itzik and quite few others. Well worth it including the brilliant dress up party last night. Looking forward to next years event.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply