Who Are You?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who Are You?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I can hear the questions asked in the voices of the characters.  Thank you for the nostalgia!

I agree as well with what you wrote.  Sure, I make most of my money with SQL Server, but I respect the other technologies.  I correct people politely that they are all tools in the tool chest, each with their own pluses and minuses.

• I want more of B5... for work I would like those that don't understand the technology would include and listen to those that do in their discussions.

• Who are you? What do you want? Do you have anything worth living for?

When Babylon 5 was in its second season, I attended a Science Fiction convention in Ohio that had Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, and Richard Biggs as guests. My husband and I got invited to go bar hopping with Jerry and Richard (Mira didn't go because she didn't feel well). We got to hear a bunch of really good stories both about them personally and about the show.  Nobody in the bar seemed to recognize them (except of course the group that had accompanied them), and even when the Babylon 5 started on the TV, they still didn't notice. Jerry said he was embarrassed by his terrible performance for that episode and asked if we could go to a different bar.

• LadyRuna wrote:

Who are you? What do you want? Do you have anything worth living for?

When Babylon 5 was in its second season, I attended a Science Fiction convention in Ohio that had Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, and Richard Biggs as guests. My husband and I got invited to go bar hopping with Jerry and Richard (Mira didn't go because she didn't feel well). We got to hear a bunch of really good stories both about them personally and about the show.  Nobody in the bar seemed to recognize them (except of course the group that had accompanied them), and even when the Babylon 5 started on the TV, they still didn't notice. Jerry said he was embarrassed by his terrible performance for that episode and asked if we could go to a different bar.

And I could not be more jealous. That sounds amazing.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Read this to my daughter, who I brought up watching the show, she wants to know which episode it was? Thanks Runa.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Datagod-309892 wrote:

I can hear the questions asked in the voices of the characters.  Thank you for the nostalgia!

I agree as well with what you wrote.  Sure, I make most of my money with SQL Server, but I respect the other technologies.  I correct people politely that they are all tools in the tool chest, each with their own pluses and minuses.

Rightly so.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

I want more of B5... for work I would like those that don't understand the technology would include and listen to those that do in their discussions.

Oh, I've got stories. You're right.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant,

It was "And Now for a Word", the episode in which the ISN Reporter goes to Babylon 5 and interviews all of the major characters.  I scanned in a photo for you. It was marked Marcon 31,  5/95.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Yeah, I know that one. Thanks!

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Yes, B5 had dated wizbang special effects, but B5 was not intend to be eye candy.

The stories within stories were epic in time, spanning generations.

The character development was awesome, some of the best I've ever seen in any sci-fi series. Who could ever forget Londo Molari, a very complicated individual who unwillingly became saddled with enormous political power and had to use it while being in "chains" that no one could see but him. Londo was often faced with difficult choices, none of them desirable, and he had to choose; not choosing was not an option. I sometimes despised him and admired him all at the same time. I have rarely seen any story portray a more interesting individual.

And Delenn, an extraordinary women of another race who through her kindness and determination to see the best in everyone materialize in reality, changed the destinies of entire species.

It still is one of my all time favorite sci-fi series.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Gail Wanabee.
  • Absolutely "Babylon 5" was and is the best does not mean I watch any other science fiction fantasy if I can get my hands on it! I happen to have the DVD box set, its not mine though, hence I can't lend it out. It has the the making of the series and is pretty insightful although not many devices have DVD players these days.

For instance it has an interview with "Jerry Dole" boasting in how many series he had been in, guess what happened next series?

My background is as a software developer, starting out in the original SQL Server 2005, and mostly my income has been on this stream. However I am branching out to the nitty gritty of ops with shell and python next on my list.

In the dark bind them

• rocker wrote:

Absolutely "Babylon 5" was and is the best does not mean I watch any other science fiction fantasy if I can get my hands on it! I happen to have the DVD box set, its not mine though, hence I can't lend it out. It has the the making of the series and is pretty insightful although not many devices have DVD players these days.

For instance it has an interview with "Jerry Dole" boasting in how many series he had been in, guess what happened next series?

My background is as a software developer, starting out in the original SQL Server 2005, and mostly my income has been on this stream. However I am branching out to the nitty gritty of ops with shell and python next on my list.

Sounds great! Keep going.

I will make one comparison between B5 and Star Trek, speaking of Jerry Doyle. The Star Trek cast all had pretty long lives while, a shockingly large percentage of the B5 cast were simply cut down early. Very sad.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I hope you all saw JMS's Tweet last night .  I don't know what it's about, but I have a feeling it's about the reboot on the CW and the HBO/Warner's/Discovery+/ possibly now Comcast shenanigans.  Maybe it's in danger of not getting picked up for next year after all.

For those who mentioned wanting more B5, this may be our only chance.

• for those who avoid twitter (like me) https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/babylon-5-reboot-cast-release-date-2023

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply