Which Versions of SQL Server Do You Have?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Which Versions of SQL Server Do You Have?

• We have 2 x SQL2000 servers and 5 x SQL2008R2 servers. I have an ongoing project to migrate all databases to our new servers (SQL2008R2), but I do it inbetween other projects and that spare time seems to get less and less. We still have about 40% of our databases on SQL2000. Our mix of in-house applications to third party applications is about 70% to 30% and 90% of the third party applications were migrated to SQL2008R2, maybe because it's easier, less integration. 😉

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

• Probably about 5 on 2000 and a similar number on 2005, a couple set up on 2008, although we have not got many real projects running on 2008 yet, mainly for reasons outside our control. It may be that we miss that one out the way things are going!

• We have 2 x SQL 2000 servers in our BI environment. In our OLTP production environment we have a couple of SQL 2005 servers running apps that don't support 2008 yet. And we also have a couple of SQL 2008 servers running an app that does support 2008.

The main reason our BI environment still runs on SQL 2000 is because we have a whole lot of DTS code and we haven't yet gotten around to migrating it to SSIS.

I would be interested to know how many other people are finding DTS a bit of an obstacle to their upgrade progress from SQL 2000.

Best Regards

Joe Trainor

Head of BI

Virgin Active South Africa

• Due to limitations and support from vendors, we currently have over 80 servers running sql server 2000. 5 servers running 2005 and the rest is now 2008 R2.

... And we also have 1 running sql server 7.... but that is the most reliable one! Slow but reliable 🙂

If we could we would just upgrade everything, but as you may well know.

Cheers

• joe.trainor (10/21/2011)

I would be interested to know how many other people are finding DTS a bit of an obstacle to their upgrade progress from SQL 2000.

Yes, that is why 1 of our SQL2000 servers is still there.

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

• We support 7 production SQL Server 2000 with 8 test/development servers mainly supporting in house developed systems with a few third party applications including one third party where they don't seem to understand basic SQL Server...:ermm:

Until recently we had another third party application that still ran on 6.5. Luckily I didn't have to support that!

• We support SQL 2005, 2008 and 2008R2 on the products we produce that I have been involved with. We dropped support for 2000 when MS dropped extended support. 1 product used DTS on SQL 2000 and getting rid of that was the best thing ever! DTS was the bain of my existence every time we released a new version of the product or had to change a DTS package (crashing IDEs are not fun).

• joe.trainor (10/21/2011)

Several hundred DTS written over the years is the main obstacle to stop our upgrades!

• I do not know about all products in the entire company but in my department of IT we use sql server 2008. We always upgrade to the latest version when we revisit a product or start a new one. I'm at large Insurance company in Sweden, and insurance companies does their job well here usually so they do not have the band standing I've heard some have in usa where most of you on these forums live I believe.

• I am sure by the middle of 2010, we will have some DBAs supporting five versions of SQL Server in their companies, going back to SQL Server 2000.

Ahh... the benefit of hindsight!

I believe that, as a company, we have been very fortunate to be able to keep all our installations reasonably consistent and up-to-date - mostly because we only have 5 servers (~20 dbs) but also because we have the backing of our Digital Director.

We are currently running SQL2005 and SQL2008. We are hoping to start to plan in the migration to Denaili (SQL 2012?) for 2012-13. (Budget allowing).

RedLlewy
    "The Plural of Anecdote is not Data"

• Our company is still using SQL Server 2005.

• Of the 80 sites we support, we still support SQL 2000 (of the fun of Enterprise Manager) although the majority of instances are shared between 2005 and 2008/2008R2 (yay - SSMS).

Version wise, there are a smattering of SQL 2008 Express out there with the majority being either Workgroup or Standard. Not one of our clients has Enterprise Edition or its equivalent.

Patch wise, its out of our control unfortunately, there are a real mixture of up to date and OEM installs. 2000 servers are all patched to SP4.

Feature wise, DTS, SSIS are used, no reporting, no full text, but we are getting involved in replication.

• SQL 2000 is still alive out here and in quite important applications too, with (of course) DTS being the most important counter-incentive to upgrade.

On the other end, SQL 2008 R2 has already shown up too, so we have quite a wide range...

VS.

Greece

• We still have about 100 of MSSQLS2000

Most of our clients run 2005 or newer but our core applications still have to support MSSQLS2000.

Where there are really tangible differences in performance we now make our procedures version aware.

But we apply Pareto principle here and only do it where it counts big.

As for our newer apps, and custom software we mandate at least 2005.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply