Which .Net Language Should We Adopt

• gcopeland (12/17/2008)

Lynn Pettis (12/17/2008)

The .NET CLR was designed to work with any language, unfortunately SSIS and SSRS weren't written that way pre SQL 2008. In SQL Server 2005 and earlier, these tools only supported VB.NET. Nothing to do with the CLR.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. Offhand I'm going to guess that MS made a mistake.

Made a mistake to not allow C# in SSIS and SSRS in SQL Server 2005 and earlier? Nope, from everything I read, it was a business decision. Adding support for other .NET languages was going to be (and has) been added later.

• AFAIK SSRS 2005 supports C# assemblies (since they are just MSIL) as references in the report, it's just the "Custom Code" block and expressions on the report surface that are VB.NET only.

Regards,

Jacob

• Jacob Luebbers (12/18/2008)

AFAIK SSRS 2005 supports C# assemblies (since they are just MSIL) as references in the report, it's just the "Custom Code" block and expressions on the report surface that are VB.NET only.

Regards,

Jacob

Right, SSIS will also allow you to use assemblies built in C# as well. My point was that if you do any scripting within the environment you need to use VB.Net.

• MattieNH (12/17/2008)

...we thought we'd just move to VB.Net, to leverage what little we know in VB to the new environment...We know we can write in either, and end up (at least theoretically) with the same compiled code...if you had to make this decision, which language would you pick?

I think you've already made the proper choice. Your company should use the language that its people are most comfortable with. There are alot of C biggots out there that will tell you how much better the C family of languages are, but the capabilities in the .Net world of the 2 languages are so close that it shouldn't matter.

• They are probably very close now. I'd still recommend C# because I think it's a little more difficult and if you know that, likely you will pick up VB quicker. It would also help you transition to Java, Python, etc. if you ever needed to easier because syntax and style are similar.

nothing wrong with VB.NET either.

• I'd recommend you to pick the one you feel comfortable with, which appeared to be VB .NET. Learn as much on VB .NET. It should not be too much of a challenge to map those skills from VB .NET to C#.

I like C# for many reasons. If it was SQL 2005, and you were doing SSIS script component programming a lot then I'd recommend sticking with VB .NET. However, SSIS in SQL 2008 brings in the power of c# there. In that case, I'd go for C#.

• rajib (12/23/2008)

I'd recommend you to pick the one you feel comfortable with (snip)

Once again, "comfortable with" is a business issue with complexities that some people seem not to fully appreciate. Faced with a choice between VB and C#, C# is the obvious winner, unless there are clear and compelling reasons for choosing VB. It is not merely which one you feel "most comfortable" with.

• gcopeland (12/31/2008)

rajib (12/23/2008)

I'd recommend you to pick the one you feel comfortable with (snip)

Once again, "comfortable with" is a business issue with complexities that some people seem not to fully appreciate. Faced with a choice between VB and C#, C# is the obvious winner, unless there are clear and compelling reasons for choosing VB. It is not merely which one you feel "most comfortable" with.

Again, it is a business decision. If the developers already have skills and knowledge in VB scripting, then learning VB.NET would be easier and a more logical direction to go as they would be able to use the knowledge they already have, just as they could use their COBOL knowledge and go with COBOL .NET if that were the direction they choose.

• It's definitely a business decision, and I'd recommend C# if it's not substantially more expensive (time and money) for your people. If they have a lot of VB experience, and they're not interested in C#, or it would be a big leap, go that way.

If it's a toss up, I'd go with C#

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/1/2009)

It's definitely a business decision, and I'd recommend C# if it's not substantially more expensive (time and money) for your people. If they have a lot of VB experience, and they're not interested in C#, or it would be a big leap, go that way.

If it's a toss up, I'd go with C#

If you are standardizing on one language, it is definitely a business decision, and if there was a need to standardize on a language I would definitely recommend C#. It is one of the easier ones to find developers for and the best supported by Microsoft.

With that said, there are times, especially in small organizations, when it makes sense to have a heterogenous shop. In that case, you may wish to allow developers to use the best tool for that particular job, which will still be C# in the majority of cases but it may also be Python, Perl, or Microsoft PowerShell in some cases.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• Hi MattieNH,

I am late to this conversation but if you choose to use C# try to read at least two of the books below because the coverage of C# is very comprehensive without any platform related info. I cannot recommend VB book because I don't write it but covers it if you are doing any thing with the Base Classes those that are shared by all .NET languages. The language C# is very big so you need to read these books before you buy platform specific books like Asp.net, Winform, WPF, WCF, WF and ADO.NET, the last four are platforms introduced in .NET 3.0 and up.

http://www.amazon.com/CLR-via-Second-Pro-Developer/dp/0735621632

http://www.amazon.com/C-Depth-What-need-master/dp/1933988363

http://www.amazon.com/C-3-0-COMPLETE-REFERENCE-E/dp/0071588418

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Gift Peddie,

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded. The decision has been made (like that passive tense?) to go with C#, mostly for the reasons listed here, but also because we've just hired an experienced C# programmer, and we want to take advantage of that experience. So the books you've referenced will probably come in very handy in the near future.

Thanks again to everyone,

Mattie

• Mattie,

I'd love to see in a few months how this has worked out. How the new programmer does and how well others learn/pick up the language.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply