Which encryption algorithm to use?

• Does anyone know of a place where the various encryption algorithms in SQL Server 2005 are compared? The books online says that the topic is out of scope for the manual.

DES | TRIPLE_DES | RC2 | RC4 | DESX | AES_128 | AES_192 | AES_256

• M Chabot (3/13/2008)

Does anyone know of a place where the various encryption algorithms in SQL Server 2005 are compared? The books online says that the topic is out of scope for the manual.

DES | TRIPLE_DES | RC2 | RC4 | DESX | AES_128 | AES_192 | AES_256

These are well known encryptions that are not specific to SQL Server. Wikipedia has some good basic information on them.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Wikipeida was one of the first places I checked and was surprised at how little information there was on these encryption methods. I didn't find much useful guidance that compared the pluses and minuses on each of these methods on that site. Is there some specific entry in Wikipedia that I should be looking at which compares all of these? I'm looking for an analysis of speed vs security, to be more specific.

The old DBAToolkit provided some good information, but those encryption methods don't match up to what is available in SQL Server 2005. If twofish encryption was an option, that is the one I would pick, since I have previously researched those Bruce Schneier algorithms.

The sense I get is that DESX is the most popular encryption method used in SQL Server 2005 based on the various examples I have seen.

• I think you posted on the wrong forum. This is for SQL 2000 and SQL 7.0.

• I believe that the AES encryption methods are the modern standard for symmetric key encryption, and AES-256 is approved by the US Government for Top Secret information.

• M Chabot (3/14/2008)

Wikipeida was one of the first places I checked and was surprised at how little information there was on these encryption methods. I didn't find much useful guidance that compared the pluses and minuses on each of these methods on that site. Is there some specific entry in Wikipedia that I should be looking at which compares all of these? I'm looking for an analysis of speed vs security, to be more specific.

The old DBAToolkit provided some good information, but those encryption methods don't match up to what is available in SQL Server 2005. If twofish encryption was an option, that is the one I would pick, since I have previously researched those Bruce Schneier algorithms.

The sense I get is that DESX is the most popular encryption method used in SQL Server 2005 based on the various examples I have seen.

Have a look at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/EncryptColsSQLServerPerf.aspx

According to it DESX is the second slowest symmetric key algorithm in SQL Server. AES is likely to be a better choice.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply