Where is column description located in a system table

• We've been connecting to our Sql Server database via Visual Studio and opening the table definition and documenting the column description in the Column Properties tab. I expect the description is stored in a system table somewhere but I haven't found an information schema view or stored procedure to get a the column descriptions. My goal is just to query the column names and descriptions to add to our documentation. Is there a system view that shows me this? Thanks - Fred

• I believe that it is an Extended Property.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• i think this is what you want

select b.*

from sys.objects a inner join sys.columns b on a.object_id = b.object_id

where a.[name] = 'test1'

replace 'test1' with the table name

• helloanam (5/6/2008)

i think this is what you want

select b.*

from sys.objects a inner join sys.columns b on a.object_id = b.object_id

where a.[name] = 'test1'

replace 'test1' with the table name

No, that returns the column definition values, it does not have the column_description in it. you have to go to sys.extended_properties for that.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• hi

what about using fn_listextendedproperty check out BOL for more details.

"Keep Trying"

• sorry RBarry, i mixed both. My apologies

• Thanks to all that pointed me in the right direction. For others that need this I found in BOL this example that uses the sys.extended_properties view, simpler than using the extended properties function.

SELECT major_id, minor_id, t.name AS [Table Name], c.name AS [Column Name], value AS [Extended Property]

FROM sys.extended_properties AS ep

INNER JOIN sys.tables AS t ON ep.major_id = t.object_id

INNER JOIN sys.columns AS c ON ep.major_id = c.object_id AND ep.minor_id = c.column_id

WHERE class = 1;

Thanks - Fred

• That SQL was helpful and gave me what i was looking for. Thanks to those who put it here. Another question:

I have column comments as Extended Properties in one database which is outdated. Another database is in use and does not have column comments. Is there a way to get the extended properties from database1 to database2.

Can system tables be updated?

Is it safe to update system tables?

• I don't believe you can update those directly in the system tables. Haven't tried, but I'll be shocked if you can do it.

What you might be able to do is get a create script for all of the descriptions in the obsolete database, and run that in the new database. TEST FIRST in a database you can drop if you blow it up.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Now... that brings up a very interesting question... I looked at sp_AddExtendedProperty and there's nothing in it that would enable the ability to modify system tables directly... even if you drill down through some of the sprocs it uses... but IT does!

How does it do that?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff:

My understanding is that only objects actually IN the ResourcesDB can directly access other ResourcesDB objects. And all of the 'sys.*' objects are actually in the ResourcesDB, but are projected into the SYS schema as a way to indirectly access them.

[/font]

• Yep... I understand that... but why does it work in SQL Server 2000? What is it that allows sp_AddExtendedProperty to add a row to sysProperties without, apparently, having to allow changes to systems tables? Do you suppose it's something in the server .exe that says "Oh, yeah... if they're using that sp, it's ok"?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hmm, good question.

[/font]

• Jeff Moden (6/4/2008)

Yep... I understand that... but why does it work in SQL Server 2000? What is it that allows sp_AddExtendedProperty to add a row to sysProperties without, apparently, having to allow changes to systems tables? Do you suppose it's something in the server .exe that says "Oh, yeah... if they're using that sp, it's ok"?

Is it considered an 'ad-hoc update' when the update is originating through a SYSTEM stored proc?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Hmmmm.... that food for thought. I'm gonna have to make an SP in master that does an update on sysProperties and label it as a system proc... it will be really interesting if that works...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply