Where did all of the SQL Server DBAs go?

• For 15 years, I was a Microsoft SQL Server DBA, Developer, etc with all of the accompanying Microsoft certifications (up to SQL Server 2012). Had to take a sabbatical for family reasons beginning in 2014.

Now that I am attempting to re-enter job market, I have learned that ALL of my Microsoft certifications have gone away and itโ€™s now (1) Data Engineer, (2) Data Science or (3) Data Analyst. Even the US Federal Government job site, usajobs, no longer lists Database Administrator as a job classification!

Which leads to the question: what happened to the DBAs?

• It's all been changed to "Must know how to create 7 Red Lines all perpendicular to each other".ย  If you don't understand the reference there then, especially as an "old timer", you'll get a real kick out the follow comedy sketch. ๐Ÿ˜€ย  The first 8 seconds explain a lot of it... the more buzz words, the better. ๐Ÿ˜€ย  Apparently, the abbreviation "DBA" just isn't a cool enough buzz word anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

On the USAJobs site, try a search for "database"... that'll help find some of the traditional jobs that used to be labeled "DBA".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I had not see that before. Very good, but I think the lines need to be in the cloud.

• Ed B wrote:

I had not see that before. Very good, but I think the lines need to be in the cloud.

๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Reminds me of a game called "Bullshit Bingo".

Make a bingo card, with each box containing trendy buzzwords. Check them off until you win, then yell "BINGO" !

https://www.good-words.fans/silly-things/bullshit-bingo

• Reminds me of sitting in a meeting with some of my colleagues and having to keep a straight face when it was my turn to incorporate the next phrase from:

https://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

What was really amazing was the number of people who nodded sagely and looked enthusiastic when the phrases were woven into the conversation!

• Ken McKelvey wrote:

Reminds me of sitting in a meeting with some of my colleagues and having to keep a straight face when it was my turn to incorporate the next phrase from:

https://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

What was really amazing was the number of people who nodded sagely and looked enthusiastic when the phrases were woven into the conversation!

OMG!ย  I absolutely love it.ย  There is no way that I could intentionally string together such absolute lines of crap!ย  The first click generated this... "deploy value-added infomediaries"... and I about fell out of my chair laughing!ย  Serious loads of multi-syllable/multi-sillyble ๐Ÿ˜€ hooie at the push of a button!ย  Unlike real life in real meetings, you can easily stop it!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• As you can tell IT had lost faith in management. We were just intrigued to see what they would swallow. It turned out to be quite a bit! I think we had all resigned within a month.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply