Where are the DBA's!?

• Hey everyone. Does anyone have any idea roughly how many SQL DBA's there are globally or how they are geographically dispersed? I am thinking that really the only way to know this is to have some tangible figures about how many certified DBA's there are. Maybe Microsoft publishes this? Maybe someone else has pondered this!?

I remember a few years ago getting the UK stats about Certified Windows\SQL\Network Engineers from a Recruitment Agent and he was just getting them from an online resource.

If anyone does know then thanks in advance.

🙂

• I am thinking that really the only way to know this is to have some tangible figures about how many certified DBA's there are.

Many, many DBAs aren't certified by Microsoft though. Or they were, and their certification has elapsed. Or they're 2/3 of the way to being certified. Or something else.

• schwizla (11/17/2014)

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any idea roughly how many SQL DBA's there are globally or how they are geographically dispersed? I am thinking that really the only way to know this is to have some tangible figures about how many certified DBA's there are. Maybe Microsoft publishes this? Maybe someone else has pondered this!?

I remember a few years ago getting the UK stats about Certified Windows\SQL\Network Engineers from a Recruitment Agent and he was just getting them from an online resource.

🙂

Heh... Except for the MCM cert, there are a lot of certified DBAs out there that don't deserve the title because they only studied for the test instead of studying the product. There are also some great DBAs out there that have no certs. All of that means that geographically summarizing certified DBAs wouldn't be a true measure of the talent in the field.

That, not withstanding, I believe that Microsoft keeps good track of certs and asking your local MS Rep might be fruitful in finding such information.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (11/17/2014)

schwizla (11/17/2014)

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any idea roughly how many SQL DBA's there are globally or how they are geographically dispersed? I am thinking that really the only way to know this is to have some tangible figures about how many certified DBA's there are. Maybe Microsoft publishes this? Maybe someone else has pondered this!?

🙂

Heh... Except for the MCM cert, there are a lot of certified DBAs out there that don't deserve the title because they only studied for the test instead of studying the product. There are also some great DBAs out there that have no certs. All of that means that geographically summarizing certified DBAs wouldn't be a true measure of the talent in the field.

That, not withstanding, I believe that Microsoft keeps good track of certs and asking your local MS Rep might be fruitful in finding such information.

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi, thanks for your replies. I agree, certified DBA figures will not really paint the accurate picture for the reason you state. But I'm guessing that's the only tangible figure.

What I'm really after is knowing the popularity of the usage of SQL Server in different countries.

• schwizla (11/17/2014)

Hi, thanks for your replies. I agree, certified DBA figures will not really paint the accurate picture for the reason you state. But I'm guessing that's the only tangible figure.

What I'm really after is knowing the popularity of the usage of SQL Server in different countries.

While this does not give a break down of quantity of instances in each region, it does show the popularity index.

http://db-engines.com/en/ranking

2 of the top 3 are Oracle and SQL Server with the 3rd being MySQL which is highly popular with blogs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You could probably pay Gartner or one of their equivalents. I've no doubt they have that sort of information available. But I'm not aware of it being published anywhere.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• schwizla (11/17/2014)

Hi, thanks for your replies. I agree, certified DBA figures will not really paint the accurate picture for the reason you state. But I'm guessing that's the only tangible figure.

Why not send an email to Microsoft and ask that same question? I'm sure that it's something they track and are proud enough to share at no cost.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• thanks for all your suggestions. Now off to find a valid MS email address that will server questions like this. Will let you know if I can get any definitive answers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply