Where are all the Replication books?!

• I've been looking for a good book completely devoted to replication. The only thing I've found out there is from SAMS called "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Replication" from 2001. The only problem is that it's out of print. A new printing was supposed to show up in Aug. 2002, but that never materialized. I've actually orded this phantom book from Amazon and e-campus, but after 2-3 weeks they sent e-mails saying they couldn't get the book.

Any ideas where I can find some good replication books?

-Dan

-Dan

• You can contact the printers directly to get out of print books if you want, so the SAMS book is not out of the question.

However, I would suggest a lot of time spent doing it in a test enviroment. A lot of the books I have read are quite generic and taught me about as much as I learned the first day going through the menu options. I actually learned the most out of books through the whitepapers included in the MSPress IT or Developers editions. Both are CD's you can get from Microsoft that are more chock full o info than you ever imagined....about Microsoft things, of course..(read between the lines here...that means don't believe it till you see it.)

Anyway, best of luck

• Unfortunately the only other book I have seen is "Sql Server 2000 Replication Handbook

by David Winters" published by "Butterworth-Heinemann (Trd); ISBN: 1555582303; 1st edition (October 1, 2000)"

Also, check out http://www.informit.com it is a subscription service that has a lot of books online that you can read. (Used to be free)

Also, I seem to recall the book you mention having a ebook version available somewhere, maybe check with the publisher and see if they can tell you.

• Just starting recently, there is an excellent 3-day Microsoft Course (2591) specifically on replication. The associated file has info I haven't found in any other book, and you may be able to purchase the file from a local CTEC.

Paul Ibison

Paul.Ibison@blueyonder.co.uk

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Thanks all...and Paul, I'm actually enrolled in a Dec. 2591 course. Glad to hear it's worth the time.

-Dan

-Dan

• At the May SQL Server Live conference, Michael Hotek said he is currently working on a book devoted entirely to replication from a beginners perspective to the advanced level. Don't know of an estimated release date, but you can email him at mhotek@mssqlserver.com to find out more about the book.

Jason

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply