What's the Cost of an Hour?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What's the Cost of an Hour?

• Don't know what it is today but when I first joined the company a total outage was around £30K/minute

• I don't know what the cost is, but it must be significant. I work for my state's health department, so downtime means things like the testing of biological samples isn't happening, or cannot be capture even if it is happening. People can't start their work, etc. It must be quite big. It's complicated and often outages aren't our fault, so much as suppliers of infrastructures. For example, the State uses CenturyLink, so when CenturyLink's down, that affects all of us, state wide.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Doctor Who 2.

Rod

• When we had our cyber attack back in June 2017, everything was offline and it was reported internally that it was costing the business $50m p/h. We were offline for 4 days, you do the maths on that one

• Holy smoke.

I don't know for our company. We've got internal generators to make sure labtests are completed. Internet dependency has increased lately

• David.Poole wrote:

Don't know what it is today but when I first joined the company a total outage was around £30K/minute

Going up or down? I wonder these days. For the supermarket, might be going up, though not necessarily in hard $$

• HBollah wrote:

When we had our cyber attack back in June 2017, everything was offline and it was reported internally that it was costing the business $50m p/h. We were offline for 4 days, you do the maths on that one

wow

• A single hour is negligible. We have a 90 minute response time, but internal operations would suffer very little, employees would simply switch to non-computer tasks (of which there are a LOT).

We have a backup generator at most offices, so power outages are measured in minutes.

Now if we're talking half a day or more, things start getting tense. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply