whats the advantage of SSIS tool over other ETL Tool

• Hi.

Can you tell me what are the advantages of SSIS tool over other ETL Tools like informatica, data integrator...etc.

thanks in advance.

• 🙂 Mukesh: SSIS is more stuctured as compare to ETL procedures. And it is good in performance as well.

• I've never used any of the others, so I can't speak about their performance and usability, but IMO, the best feature of SSIS is that it is included with SQL Server at no extra cost. It has always met my needs, even back to the DTS days (SSIS is orders of magnitude better) so I never needed to go out and spend money on something else.

• Pretty much what Jack said, a product like Informatica can cost tens of thousands of dollars wheras SSIS is free with sql 2005.

I was an Informatica developer for years before moving to SSIS, so I can only really comment on Informatica. I feel that informatica is much more mature, and the ability to pick which rows go to what transformations, compared to ssis where you have to take all the rows, makes informatica a lot more flexible.

But SSIS integration with VSA scripts is a lot better than the scripting in Informatica.

If you have a very large project to do and have a lot of budget then I would go informatica, otherwise go SSIS it is good and is catching up very quickly

• Hello there:

I am glad to find a guy like yourself who has multiple years of experience in this type of technologies. I recently started a consulting job and am did get placed into a bit higher position that I do deserve (yes! I am up for a big challenge). For my 2nd client (this is my 11th week and hence positive feedback determines if I get to remain with this firm or not), I am asked to delvier a point of view comparison between SSIS/Informatica. Urgent help would be greatly appreciated since I do need to deliver on something (prob 2-3 pages of material soon). It be great if we could connect. Please feel free to either call me at 630-338-9427 or via email at vsacademic@gmail.com. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

• steveb. (12/17/2008)

Pretty much what Jack said, a product like Informatica can cost tens of thousands of dollars wheras SSIS is free with sql 2005.

I was an Informatica developer for years before moving to SSIS, so I can only really comment on Informatica. I feel that informatica is much more mature, and the ability to pick which rows go to what transformations, compared to ssis where you have to take all the rows, makes informatica a lot more flexible.

But SSIS integration with VSA scripts is a lot better than the scripting in Informatica.

If you have a very large project to do and have a lot of budget then I would go informatica, otherwise go SSIS it is good and is catching up very quickly

Steve,

I don't think i agree with one of the points. You can direct rows into different transformation paths in SSIS.

Products that have been around a while tend to be more mature. Think an important aspect it the cost, SSIS is free with SQL, so Informatica would have to just "blow the doors off" of SSIS in performance and flexibility to overcome the cost aspect. IMO..

CEWII

• Elliott W (5/7/2010)

Steve,

I don't think i agree with one of the points. You can direct rows into different transformation paths in SSIS.

Products that have been around a while tend to be more mature. Think an important aspect it the cost, SSIS is free with SQL, so Informatica would have to just "blow the doors off" of SSIS in performance and flexibility to overcome the cost aspect. IMO..

CEWII

Sorry, I wrote 'rows' however I should have written columns, what i meant was that i liked the ability in informatica to direct columns into different transformations from one transformation , wheras in SSIS all the columns have to be connected to the next transformation in the dataflow.

I agreee with the scond part of your comment and in my opinion Informatica does not have enough of an advantage to SSIS to justify the costs, esp. if you work in a full SQL server environment.

• Ok then Steve, I can agree..

CEWII

• I've used data integrator. It is pretty decent but I can tell you that the learning and support resources for SSIS are far greater. I've always been able to deal with every situation using SSIS. Also, script tasks in SSIS perfrom extremely well.

• As lausen states there are plenty of resources for SSIS compared to any other tool, which makes it easy for anyone out there to learn it easily and Of course the Cost. Many organizations have also started migrating to SQL Server as it comes with all these various Tools for the price of one...

• And with SQL Server 2008 it is even better. It's getting there, just have to wait a little more i think before it is claimed as the best ever ETL Tool.

Long live SSIS !

Amol Naik

• I agree I keep hearing how you need ETL tools, people don t know how to import and export data. I never needed anything outside of SQL server

• And even if you do then you can usually find a driver for it.

CEWII

• In "The Data Warehouse ETL Toolkit" Ralph Kimball argues that there are certain productivity gains when you use a dedicated ETL tool that keeps the interim steps in memory instead of writing to database tables. I'm on an ETL team that deals with huge data imports (bordering on a terabyte each, in some cases). And my boss is a strong believer in ETL tools, especially Informatica.

Me, I'm like you. I started out with the database tables approach. I guess it is different stroke for different strokes. One thing I can say about the dedicated ETL tool, though, you don't have to worry about maxing out the transaction log file when dealing with them.

• Good book, its companion book "The Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit" by Joy Mundy and Warren Thornthwaite also by the Kimball Group covers more specifically the MS tools. The Kimbal University class based on these books is FULL of useful information but is a hard class to sit through. Information overload..

But where I'm going is that it isn't either impossible or improbable to load TB sizes of data with SSIS. I'm curious why SSIS isn't being considered a dedicted ETL tool? Does informatical really perform THAT much better and give you THAT many more options? You don't have to use staging tables with SSIS, in many cases I don't, that was typcially a design goal.

One thing I can say about the dedicated ETL tool, though, you don't have to worry about maxing out the transaction log file when dealing with them.

Since when? You still have to do an insert, even a fast load incurs SOME transactional logging, you can't get away from that, EVERY database modification affects the log in some way, it may be minimally logged but even a truncate is logged a little.

CEWII

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply