whats the advantage of SSIS tool over other ETL Tool

• I agree with Elliott, you can't get away from transaction logging. As regards processing everything in memory, even SSIS is capable of doing that, only when you think the performance is suffering should you move that processing out of the Data flow by using alternatives like Execute SQL Task.

Amol Naik

• I consider SSIS a dedicated ETL tool. It does things that you can't easily do in SQL Server otherwise, and even if it doesn't do everything that another tool does, likley it does most of what you need.

And you can program the rest if you need it. It comes with your SQL Server license, might as well use it.

• I'm an old SQL Server guy, so I agree with you guys. It's just that we've had some proof of concept tests, with me advocating SSIS. For one thing, Informatica is substantially faster than SSIS 2005 (2008 might be faster than 2005). In addition, we couldn't find an adequate to export data from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle and there was no driver to properly connect to Vertica.

Back to the log file, I am trying to take a group of .csv files as an input and create a different set of .txt files as an output. In a case like that, Informatica might be a better tool, although I would prefer SSIS.

• imani_technology (5/15/2010)

I'm an old SQL Server guy, so I agree with you guys. It's just that we've had some proof of concept tests, with me advocating SSIS. For one thing, Informatica is substantially faster than SSIS 2005 (2008 might be faster than 2005). In addition, we couldn't find an adequate to export data from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle and there was no driver to properly connect to Vertica.

Back to the log file, I am trying to take a group of .csv files as an input and create a different set of .txt files as an output. In a case like that, Informatica might be a better tool, although I would prefer SSIS.

There are options available on the market for working with Oracle. If you can use third-party solutions, check CozyRoc Oracle Destination component. It is 30x faster compared to the standard OLE DB Destination. For Vertica check CozyRoc ODBC Destination component. If Vertica's ODBC driver supports the bulk-load API, you can expect substantial performance gains.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• We use Data Integrator because it does something we need that SSIS does not do. We get packed decimal from our data supplier and Integrator can read the copylib and create a table from that. For anything else, we could use SSIS.

Converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, since 1955.
  • Steve Cullen (5/18/2010)

We use Data Integrator because it does something we need that SSIS does not do. We get packed decimal from our data supplier and Integrator can read the copylib and create a table from that. For anything else, we could use SSIS.

You can use Lysine[/url] for SSIS. It allows you to process packed decimals.

---

• imani_technology (5/15/2010)

I'm an old SQL Server guy, so I agree with you guys. It's just that we've had some proof of concept tests, with me advocating SSIS. For one thing, Informatica is substantially faster than SSIS 2005 (2008 might be faster than 2005). In addition, we couldn't find an adequate to export data from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle and there was no driver to properly connect to Vertica.

I have just received feedback Vertica supports the bulk-load ODBC API. So the CozyRoc ODBC Destination might come handy.

---

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Sai Sarada wrote:

Informatica ETL is highly recommended

LOL this has to be an add bot.  Informatica hasn't had a major update in something like over a decade and doesn't support(or barely) many modern basic standards like JSON.

• ZZartin wrote:

Sai Sarada wrote:

Informatica ETL is highly recommended

LOL this has to be an add bot.  Informatica hasn't had a major update in something like over a decade and doesn't support(or barely) many modern basic standards like JSON.

LOL - Did you look at the date of the post?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply