What Would Keep You?

• I wish I had as much vacation time as some of you!  I won't get 5 weeks until I've put in 20 years with my company.  I definitely agree with the telecommuting aspect.  If I could telecommute a few days out of the week (in particular the days I have a lot less to do and am bored), I would definitely stay.  Even with only 2 weeks of vacation time (I've only been here about a year), the telecommuting once or twice a week would be worth it to me.

• Sharks with friggin' lasers on their heads?

• Here's my list, roughly in order:

Telecommuting (I used to do it and I miss it)

Working with current technology and encouraged to use the emerging technology

Top-notch equipment (a great laptop, rather than a piece of crap, etc)

Good training budget, and given the time to use it

Interesting projects

Smart boss and coworkers who are all easy to work with

Good pay (doesn't have to be top-notch, but should be good enough to keep me off the job boards)

Good benefits (vacation, health coverage, etc)

My current job has a few of these and the possibility of a few more in the future.

• And a pool around my office of liquid hot magma......

• One thing that deffinitely keeps interested in my current job is that they pay for 100% of graduate school. It ammounts to something like $10,000 per year. Not a bad bonus.

• Not that this answers the question, but I just gotta tell you about one of the most uniquely cool perks I've ever gotten at a job.  I went to work for an aviation website.  They wanted me to know something about the subject, so they paid for me to take flying lessons in the company plane.  I attacked it with zeal and had my pilot's license in 4 months.   After that, I could take the company plane anytime I wanted just by checking it out on the schedule. 

That was sweet.

• Tab,

That's definitely a perk that I would go for.  Getting my pilot's license is another one of my long-term goals.  My brother got his a long time ago, and I was hooked the first time I ever got to ride in a Cessna with him. 

• Julie, if you can afford it, go for it!   The day I got my "ticket" was the highlight of my life, seriously. 

• I would have to agree that more time off .... and being able to take it. 

• For the most part, I have a great job...flexible, casual, free candy, cookies at 3 each day, balloons on birthdays, 4 weeks vacation (but more would be nice - I used to get 5 but they cut that back a couple of years ago)...  To stay...free daycare would definitely do it for me.  Daycare in this area is crazy expensive!

Sam

• Not in any particular order:

1) Company Stability (is there such any more?)

2) Consistent and Consistently Supportive Management

3) Actually getting my time off when I take rather than getting called off and on during the day(s)

4) Opportunity to take training

5) Better Medical benefits - $1000 deductible is getting old

6) And as a pipe-dream:  Not having to deal with "peers" that they think they know everything plus....

joe

• Tab,

You can get "tickets" in flying?  I know it's an expensive hobby, but I hadn't heard of that.  I don't know too much about it, though.  At least not yet.  I'm trying to picture a plane with a siren and flashing red and blue lights on top (not on the wings), and it's just not happening.    Even more, where would you "pull over"?

More seriously, I'm guessing it was an air traffic control issue?

• 4 minutes from great bass fishing and 1/2 days on Fridays to do that fishing in spring n summer. I get every day off I ask for but still work occasional Saturdays.

• Unfortunately I have been burnt by 2 companies with regards to "We're a family" but when they got into financial trouble (their own making) you could see the higher ups preaching the family thing are all about getting their share (fair or more) and had no qualms about cutting many low level folks to save their butts as opposed to streamlining the bigger money grabbers out. It reall burns my bubble when someone cuts 4 $18,000 jobs (Alabama at the time more than 8 years ago) instead of consolidating 2 mangers into 1 and freeing 1 $150,000 job.

So there really isn't much I would stay for.

Now as for what makes me happy to continue my job. I just want to have an input into the direction of what I am developing and not just a pretty face in the crowd. I also want to be able to experiment with new methodologies without push to always be done in a fixed period. I have had a few friends where they are in jobs where there is a fixed cycle for release and a set methodolgy they can use with no grounds for improvement in their job, these types of jobs as a canned programmer get old for me fast.

• I already get 4.5 weeks of vacation a year (plus sick leave), have the flexibility to use it, work a half day every Friday, have an easy bicycle commute, have pretty good health insurance and retirement plan, work with some great people (and a few annoying ones), have good equipement and furniture, and interesting work.  The only thing I'd like more of is money. 

Did you guess that I work for a government agency?

Greg

Greg

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply