What Would Keep You?

• I'd have to agree with Journeyman.

Access to education / training (including fees paid and paid time).  I'm sick and tired of having to take vacation time to attend training.  My employer sees as much of the benefits of my continued education as I do.

My $.02.

Regards,
    Matt

• A boss and co-workers who are supportive and not trying to play office politics.  A business where I do not have to worry about being laid off.

• My morning commute can take anything up to 3 hours (which is why the company give me a car and free petrol), however the one thing that would make me stay would be the flexibility to work two days a week from home. 3 days at work / 4 days at home. Nice.

• For me it'd be telecommuting as well.  The only thing is that I'd need a nice bonus as well to help me afford the sailboat I'd be telecommuting from

Talk about saving your vacation time, just the ability to float down the  intercoastal waterway and be able to do some work along the way would be great. 

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• You guys aren't very ambitious are you?

Here's my list :

Sycophantic minions to cater for my every whim.

Exotic island locale.

Cash.

Helicopter.

Aston Martin DB9.

Shark pool (to keep sycophantic minions in line).

I would opt for a cohort of Amazonian bodyguards but my wife would probably object.

2 hour days, 3 day weeks - WiFi to beach.

On demand cocktails.

• The chance to work 4 - tens, or 4 - twelves, or 4-14's instead of 5 - 14's.

Maybe even telecommute.

• I agree that having more money wouldn't change a lot of things... but working 4 days a week, here's what would retain me the best. And that's what I've got! Recently I've been able to persuade my boss to work less hours.

I also agree that 3 weeks of vacation or even less is not enough, especially when you have a family. But now that extra day off will compensate.

My boss probably doesn't know but he's been doing the best thing to retain me. I don't remember having seen a 4 days a week IT job offer. Before changing job I will think twice about it.

Phil

• It is difficult to say what would keep me, my previous job was with an extremely large American Company, the company offered fantastic benefits and bonus options, this kept me with the company for over 4 years, but the thing that caused me to leave was the daily commute,  I now work for a much smaller company which is much closer to home, they offer very little in the form of benefits, or any other incentive to cause me to stay, but I am in no rush to leave.  What I am trying to say is that the things that would make me stay with a company would vary depending on where I am in my life at the time.

What I do really miss is the half day on Friday, something I do regret loosing.

• Is  there such a thing as 'free daycare'!  If so, sign me up.  That and vacation time is top on my list!

• I couldn't get a good reason to stay at my job, so I asked a friend their thoughts. 

They put forward that they would stay at work if they could, punch the boss once a year, for no reason whatsoever, with no recriminiations. 

They even said they'd take a pay cut, for said opportunity.

• At this stage in my career, with wife and three kids, more vacation time, but more importantly time to take it.  Have 3 weeks now and usually take about a week a year.

Curtis Smith
    SQL Server DBA
    Well in worked in Theory ...

• 1. Absolutely top of the list is more holiday. Or less days per week.

Maybe I'm just greedy but my 5 weeks plus flexitime just doesn't go far enough!

2. more money. (UK Civil Servants are notably underpaid in comparison with our private sector equals.)

3. keeping the short rural commute (10 mins) and the flexi-time.

4. more variety/toys/courses etc

• I definitely prefer having a flexible schedule over anything else. Money comes and money goes, but time can not be replenished!

• 3 words:

Ranch Dressing Hose.

• I would like to have more time off to enjoy the finer things in life. It's always nice to have more money, however all is well as long as I have enough money to buy an occasional steak to grill along with a nice bottle of red wine.

Joe Woolcott

DBA

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply