What to Read in 2018

• Eric M Russell - Friday, February 9, 2018 11:22 AM

I'm constantly learning out of necessity, but unless I'm stuck in a waiting room or airplane, I do practically no technology related reading outside work; it's part of my day job. I don't even touch my computer off hours except for personal stuff. How about you guys?

I do some. R in a Nutshell has been something I do on planes, or even waiting for kids/spouse somewhere at town. It's a tough read, but I'll try to force myself to learn a bit more.

I got into Python at night when the SDTIG started their series a couple years ago. Spent a bunch of my time working through some code. Dropped it a bit, but trying to pick it up again.

It's a balance of things that matter to me and ensuring I'm not working too hard.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, February 9, 2018 3:00 PM

Rod at work - Friday, February 9, 2018 9:31 AM

My fiction reading pleasure is mysteries, especially those from the so called Golden Age of Mystery. And I prefer reading the Queens of Crime, Agatha Christie, Margery Allingham, Dorothy Sayers and Ngaio Marsh. Of these 4 my favorite is Christie. Her mysteries are clever. And I really love her Belgium detective Hercule Poirot.

I should try some of these. I really enjoyed going back and reading the Bond series from Fleming. Should try Christie sometime..

I enjoyed the Len Deighton books of that era more - "The Ipcress File", "Funeral in Berlin", etc. His later books are somewhat variable - some are brilliant, others I have never finished. John le Carre much the same;;;

• I'll definitely check out the Will Robie series.  If you guys like fiction that's IT-related you'll love the Charles Stross Laundry Files series.  It so good and cleverly written, I reread them all the time.  Applied computational demonologist is definitely a job title I wouldn't want but he makes it seem pretty cool.

• Eric M Russell - Friday, February 9, 2018 11:22 AM

I'm constantly learning out of necessity, but unless I'm stuck in a waiting room or airplane, I do practically no technology related reading outside work; it's part of my day job. I don't even touch my computer off hours except for personal stuff. How about you guys?

I do a lot of technical reading outside of work. And I do a far amount of training on my desktop at home and laptop while commuting. I consider it essential for my career.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work - Sunday, February 11, 2018 8:04 AM

Eric M Russell - Friday, February 9, 2018 11:22 AM

I do a lot of technical reading outside of work. And I do a far amount of training on my desktop at home and laptop while commuting. I consider it essential for my career.

I have to keep my hands on the wheel during my daily commute, so you're actually kind of lucky to have someone else do the driving. But I do listen to technology related podcasts like SQLServerRadio.com and Channel9 in the car. Sometimes I'll copy MP3 soundtracks of PASS presentations to my iPhone or CD and listen that way.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I'll admit that I don't do nearly as much technical reading outside of work as I used to. I will try to set aside some time during the week or day for technical learning to go along with my learning plan for the year - Biml, PowerBI being foremost there.  With some of the other activities I'm involved in, I find myself reading in order to learn enough to lead a badge workshop. I just picked up an Edison robot and it's similar to LEGO Mindstorms in some ways, but also allows for using "EdPy" and has some small differences in their simpler languages. I need to go through their workshops so I can adjust/adapt for a more limited time and different ages.  I'll also need to brush up on my Python.

In my free time, I'll admit to being a sci-fi/fantasy fan.  Been re-reading some of Terry Brooks' older Shannara books and some Asimov. I've enjoyed some of Brandon Sanderson's work, though I keep hoping for a sequel to the Rithmatist. He's indicated that's hard because he's in a different place now than he was when he wrote it. 🙁  I've also enjoyed the "Girl Genius" webcomic as some strange combination of steampunk and weird science. It's a fun read and there are compilations available to catch up in a book as opposed to online.  I also spend time reading with my littlest one so there's been quite a bit of Mo Willems lately (Elephant and Piggy) as well as some fairy tales, Narnia, and soon some Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

• GilaMonster - Friday, February 9, 2018 5:39 AM

My plans for the year include the rest of the Expanse series, to try and make a dent in the unread Data and Machine Learning books I've bought, to read or re-read as many of Ursula Le Guin's books as I can find.
    And try and reduce the unread books to a point where the dining room table isn't tilting under the load.

Bah, in that case you're doing it wrong...

You need to ADD more books to the other end of the table...

• Last year I discovered the "Monster Hunter International" series.  They're a relatively fun read (if a bit grim sometimes.)  There's a new one due out in a month or two I believe, co-wrote by John Ringo (which is how I got into the series,) who puts a bit of "snark" into his books.  The first one he wrote, the author apologizes for bringing grunge rock into the world when an elven princess starts dating Kurt Cobain...

Otherwise, my reading habits tend towards if I'm in a bookstore, what catches my attention in the SF / Fantasy section.  I tend not to read Fantasy, that's more the wifes' preference.

• jasona.work - Monday, February 12, 2018 12:07 PM

GilaMonster - Friday, February 9, 2018 5:39 AM

My plans for the year include the rest of the Expanse series, to try and make a dent in the unread Data and Machine Learning books I've bought, to read or re-read as many of Ursula Le Guin's books as I can find.
    And try and reduce the unread books to a point where the dining room table isn't tilting under the load.

But then where would I unpack and examine new boardgames?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Monday, February 12, 2018 2:01 PM

jasona.work - Monday, February 12, 2018 12:07 PM

GilaMonster - Friday, February 9, 2018 5:39 AM

But then where would I unpack and examine new boardgames?

What, you don't have a Gaming Room???
    I'm shocked!
    Shocked I tell you!

But seriously, that's when you set up the folding table in the living room!

• My plans are to go back and re-read the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes. (The original set)
    I find it both entertaining and educational. For me, it puts my mind-set in the mode of looking at all the minute details which in turn helps with my code. (pay attention to the little things, they matter)
    On the educational side (work related) I plan to read as many articles and “Stairways” as I can on this site. Since I am studying for my MCSA / MCSE in Data Management and Data Warehousing, I need all the help I can get.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Aubrey W Love
    aka: PailWriter
    https://www.aubreywlove.com/

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply