What other useful DBA reports do you suggest?

• What other useful DBA reports do you suggest? Maybe something we would run every month or so to check that our environment is configured/running optimally.

We have these so far: see screenshot.

I also already have (adding soon)  certain reports on block leaders and Waits report based on sp_whoisactive,  report on 'Worst of the Worst SQL' (incorporating some Jeff's ideas)...

//We also use AppDynamics, too. So it would be preferred to add such new DBA reports that are not immediately available via AppD.

<>

WHAT ELSE would you suggest?

Likes to play Chess

• a couple  more things we are  thinking about:

Report showing database with excessive number of virtual log files. So we can then shrink and re-grow the tlog files to minimize vlog files. A process to periodically run DBCC CHECKDB on database. Also detail best practices for dealing with specific results.

Table pagesplit/fullness analysis.

Likes to play Chess

• I don't think there are a standard set of canned reports that someone can simply hand you. There are too many variables at play. Personally, I've usually used a 3rd party monitoring tool. Yeah, they cost money, but they save you time. For example, the time you're going to spend building and implementing reports after you've spent time building and implementing monitoring data collection. Instead, a solid 3rd party monitoring tool (I'd suggest Redgate SQL Monitor, but I do work for them, so...) will provide you with the majority of what you're asking for. You can then spend your time doing the important stuff, automating consistency checks, tuning queries, proactively dealing with data growth, all the other stuff that you don't have enough time for already.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Adding to what Grant said (I do use SQL Monitor and also other similar monitor tools).

one of the most important things is the ability to correlate different metrics that happened at the same time - if you had a spike on CPU at 1 point in time you will wish to see which SQL's were executing at that exact moment - having those SSRS paginated reports will not give you that.

some of the tools will also allow you to add custom metrics - so some of the items you have on your ssrs would also become part of that third party tool database and could be correlated.

• VoldemarG wrote:

What other useful DBA reports do you suggest? Maybe something we would run every month or so to check that our environment is configured/running optimally. We have these so far: see screenshot.

I also already have (adding soon)  certain reports on block leaders and Waits report based on sp_whoisactive,  report on 'Worst of the Worst SQL' (incorporating some Jeff's ideas)... //We also use AppDynamics, too. So it would be preferred to add such new DBA reports that are not immediately available via AppD.

<>

It would be real nice if you shared those with the world.  You should zip them up and attach them.

I'm particular interested in the one related to indexes, stats, a page splits.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great idea, thanks for this. For some reason I'd always thought of SSRS as client only, but it obviously can be really useful for DBA reports.

I would add backup-related reports.

Failed full backups

Failed log backups

Broken log chains (not sure how to do this via t-sql)

Also the Brent Ozar sp_BlitzBackups results

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2017/05/announcing-sp_blitzbackups-check-wreck/

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/02/how-to-test-your-backup-strategy/

Thanks again!

-- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Jeff Moden wrote:

VoldemarG wrote:

What other useful DBA reports do you suggest? Maybe something we would run every month or so to check that our environment is configured/running optimally. We have these so far: see screenshot.

I also already have (adding soon)  certain reports on block leaders and Waits report based on sp_whoisactive,  report on 'Worst of the Worst SQL' (incorporating some Jeff's ideas)... //We also use AppDynamics, too. So it would be preferred to add such new DBA reports that are not immediately available via AppD.

<>

It would be real nice if you shared those with the world.  You should zip them up and attach them.

I'm particular interested in the one related to indexes, stats, a page splits.

Heh... remember, one way streets can appear in any direction. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply