What on earth is a Database Administrator Architect

• The other guy that does database management with me, has a strange and wonderous title. He is a DBAA.

I have my doubts about what he is supposed to do technically but he seems to know what he is doing.

I had this grand vision of him doing infrastructure designs and yet he is doing standard dba duties.

Is there anyone else out there, with this title and what exactly do you do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I have to ask... what's in a title and what does it matter? The company I currently work for wasn't allowed to hire another person with the simple title of "SQL Server DBA" because they "had too many" but they needed someone for their remote office to "represent their best interest" and the corporate DBA's simply didn't have the time to do that. So, they made up a title for me.

Titles mean nothing. If the person is useful to the company, does what is necessary (notice I didn't say "what is expected" which can be quite different ;-)), and does a good job, I don't care if they carry the title of "Sr. Turtle Furlong per Fortnight Counter".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/8/2009)

I have to ask... what's in a title and what does it matter? The company I currently work for wasn't allowed to hire another person with the simple title of "SQL Server DBA" because they "had too many" but they needed someone for their remote office to "represent their best interest" and the corporate DBA's simply didn't have the time to do that. So, they made up a title for me.

Titles mean nothing. If the person is useful to the company, does what is necessary (notice I didn't say "what is expected" which can be quite different ;-)), and does a good job, I don't care if they carry the title of "Sr. Turtle Furlong per Fortnight Counter".

I have no complaints about Mr Steven White :w00t:, who I have the pleasure of working with. I am intrigued to know your Title though. As you have mentioned you are not titled as a DBA. :-P. Unless it is SIR Jeff of the SQL Table 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• And here I thought along the same lines as Jeff - just a different title for a DBA.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Nice link and article, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he does none of those things, not because he doesnt have the skills, but it isnt in the role.

• Silverfox (9/8/2009)

I am intrigued to know your Title though. As you have mentioned you are not titled as a DBA. :-P.

Heh... "Sr. Turtle Furlong per Fortnight Counter". 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/8/2009)

Silverfox (9/8/2009)

I am intrigued to know your Title though. As you have mentioned you are not titled as a DBA. :-P.

Heh... "Sr. Turtle Furlong per Fortnight Counter". 😛

Given that a Furlong is 220 yards and a fortnight is 14 days...

Could it imply that your desk is 220 yards away from the server room to minimise damage and the 14 days implies the time it takes you to write a query :-P, dont really want to know about the turtle bit, except in some countries they are an endangered species maybe you might have something to do with that 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply