What is the best way to on-board (train) a new junior employee?

• For me, it's mostly about the domain knowledge and how I can work with the junior to get them up to speed on the business domain. It's taking even skilled technical people 6 months to learn the business and that's too long.

When it comes to the technical side, it's not as big of a deal for me. It's more hand holding until the junior can do it on their own. After that, it's about empowerment of the employee to be successful and hopefully a replication of who I am.

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:53 AM

pwhoyt - Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:14 AM

As an aside, there is something in that article that brings back some less-than stellar memories. The comment that "they will just leave for a better job somewhere else" is the verbatim statement that one of my previous managers would make when denying employees time off to attend training.  In a way, that manager was right.  I no longer work for him...  😉

Denying a programmer access to training in an effort to prevent them from leaving; that's about as effective as keeping a cat on a leash to keep it from running off. It's a management anti-pattern that keeps repeating itself despite all the obvious evidence.

Ah no, Eric, I beg to differ. I witness the effectiveness of denying training to programmers and other professionals. It works remarkably well.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work - Friday, September 7, 2018 8:34 AM

Ah no, Eric, I beg to differ. I witness the effectiveness of denying training to programmers and other professionals. It works remarkably well.

Can you enlighten us? I'd be interested to hear how denying training to employees makes them better employees and keeps them around longer.

• Rod at work - Friday, September 7, 2018 8:34 AM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:53 AM

pwhoyt - Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:14 AM

As an aside, there is something in that article that brings back some less-than stellar memories. The comment that "they will just leave for a better job somewhere else" is the verbatim statement that one of my previous managers would make when denying employees time off to attend training.  In a way, that manager was right.  I no longer work for him...  😉

Denying a programmer access to training in an effort to prevent them from leaving; that's about as effective as keeping a cat on a leash to keep it from running off. It's a management anti-pattern that keeps repeating itself despite all the obvious evidence.

"works remarkably well" at achieving what exactly? Keeping your workforce fresh by causing constant turnover? Or were you being ironic and we all missed the tone change?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply