What is recovery indexes?

• Does anyone know what is recovery indexes?

Kindly advice.

Regards,monkeyDBAWe dont grow when things are easy; We grow when we face challenges.

• Never heard of such a thing. What's the context?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jimmy.liew (3/17/2011)

Does anyone know what is recovery indexes?

Kindly advice.

Do you mean "Covering" index?

• Or are you talking about changing the recovery/logging model when doing large index operations?

• Hi,

I mean "Covering Indexes". I found one article at SQL Server Performance website (http://www.sql-server-performance.com/tips/covering_indexes_p1.aspx). Can anyone can provide me a brief idea on what is it?

Thanks.

Regards,monkeyDBAWe dont grow when things are easy; We grow when we face challenges.

• reread the 1st paragrapgh... can't be much clearer than that.

What are you not understanding?

• In a single sentence.

A covering index is an index that contains everything a query needs to complete without going to the actual physical table.

• It means all the columns required to run the query are in the index.

That means columns from the select, joins, where, group by, having, order by....

are all contained in the index. That way you avoid the cost of going from the index to the base table to fetch the "missing" columns.

• I think this has a bit on covering indexes, iirc http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Indexing/68636/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply