What happens when Trial expires?

• I recently inherited an instance where the trial had already expired. This happened around 3 months ago and we had an emergency upgrade last week.

I'm trying to determine impacts that may have occurred and am having a hard time finding information about what occurs when the trial period expires or has already expired.  If someone has a link to a detailed description or insider information that would be great. (I need to be very thorough in my report to management.)

• Fal - Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:36 PM

I recently inherited an instance where the trial had already expired. This happened around 3 months ago and we had an emergency upgrade last week.

I'm trying to determine impacts that may have occurred and am having a hard time finding information about what occurs when the trial period expires or has already expired.  If someone has a link to a detailed description or insider information that would be great. (I need to be very thorough in my report to management.)

can you explain in more detail please?
    "trial"  of what?
    "emergency upgrade"  of what?

• J Livingston SQL - Monday, June 26, 2017 3:55 AM

Fal - Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:36 PM

I recently inherited an instance where the trial had already expired. This happened around 3 months ago and we had an emergency upgrade last week.

"trial"  of what?

Sure.

A trial licence of SQL Server 2014, installed by the vendor. An emergency upgrade to an Enterprise licence.

• Did some quick searching, when a SQL Server trial expires, the SQL Server services will no longer start.  As the time-limited trial is Enterprise Edition, you can only either activate it with a Enterprise license, or attach the DBs to a non-Enterprise Edition (as long as the application isn't using any Enterprise-only features.)

Found this posting by Pinal Dave: https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2015/06/22/sql-server-evaluation-period-has-expired-how-to-activate-sql-server/

• Fal - Monday, June 26, 2017 4:09 AM

J Livingston SQL - Monday, June 26, 2017 3:55 AM

Fal - Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:36 PM

"trial"  of what?

Sure.

A trial licence of SQL Server 2014, installed by the vendor. An emergency upgrade to an Enterprise licence.

edit....misunderstood reply

• jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 7:22 AM

Did some quick searching, when a SQL Server trial expires, the SQL Server services will no longer start.  As the time-limited trial is Enterprise Edition, you can only either activate it with a Enterprise license, or attach the DBs to a non-Enterprise Edition (as long as the application isn't using any Enterprise-only features.)

Found this posting by Pinal Dave: https://blog.sqlauthority.com/2015/06/22/sql-server-evaluation-period-has-expired-how-to-activate-sql-server/

Yes, that's all I could find out also. "Services won't start".

So I'm wondering, does that mean the instance keeps running until one day there's a reboot or other event that causes the services to stop, and then issues are experienced? Or do the services shut themselves down?

The situation I inherited suggests it quietly chugs away indefinitely until some point in the future when the services are affected, and then....

• Fal - Tuesday, June 27, 2017 6:45 PM

jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 7:22 AM

Did some quick searching, when a SQL Server trial expires, the SQL Server services will no longer start.  As the time-limited trial is Enterprise Edition, you can only either activate it with a Enterprise license, or attach the DBs to a non-Enterprise Edition (as long as the application isn't using any Enterprise-only features.)

Yes, that's all I could find out also. "Services won't start".

So I'm wondering, does that mean the instance keeps running until one day there's a reboot or other event that causes the services to stop, and then issues are experienced? Or do the services shut themselves down?

The situation I inherited suggests it quietly chugs away indefinitely until some point in the future when the services are affected, and then....

If it behaves like I think it does, you're correct.  It'll keep running until for some reason the service restarts or the server restarts (obviously restarting the services.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply