What Happened to Hadoop?

• David.Poole wrote:

I once joked that Hadoop encouraged you to think about new ways of solving data problems. Mainly it encouraged you to think of ways of solving those problems without Hadoop!

{snip}

I am a firm believer that there is a threshold above which these technologies are good, even great, solutions. Below that surprisingly high threshold they just add cost and complexity

Oh my...  I feel vindicated in my thoughts.  You've pretty much expressed (much more eloquently than I did when I was informed) my original opinion of it all... and, we need to change EVERYTHING we're doing and there's no guarantee that we'll do that right, either.  If they spent even a fraction of that much time learning a bit more about T-SQL and SQL Server and rewriting a little code (including some code that I've previously demonstrated), they'd have never considered such a move.  I'm only one voice, though.  The folks higher up on the totem pole are convinced it's all going to be magic even though they don't actually know how to use it yet.

I'm going to try to help them achieve their goals, though.

Sigh...

Thanks for the info, David... and for the opinions.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply