What does this error say??

• Error messages:

Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo

Target Site: Void PrefetchObjectsImpl(System.Type, Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptingOptions)

Stack: at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Database.PrefetchObjectsImpl(Type objectType, ScriptingOptions scriptingOptions)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Database.PrefetchObjects(Type objectType)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SmoScriptingManager.ObjectPrefetchControl.DoPrefetch(Database database)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SmoScriptingManager.PrefetchObjects(ObjectPrefetchControl[] objectPrefetchControls)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SmoScriptingManager.DoPrefetchWithRetry()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SmoScriptingManager.DoScripting()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SqlServerSnapshotProvider.DoScripting()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.Snapshot.SqlServerSnapshotProvider.GenerateSnapshot()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.SnapshotGenerationAgent.InternalRun()

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Replication.AgentCore.Run() (Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Error number: 0)

Get help: http://help/0

Server XXXXX, Level 13, State 51, Procedure , Line 1

Transaction (Process ID 65) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction. (Source: MSSQLServer, Error number: 1205)

• It says that a deadlock occurred and this process (whatever it is) was the deadlock victim and hence it was killed.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The snapshot holds locks during the snapshot generation processs. This is what you are seeing.

You need to investigate why these deadlocks are occuring and see if you can change the user code to less the impact of it. Use the nolock hint wherever possible.

• Hey Atul,

If I need to investigate why it was choosen as the deadlock victim where do I start? This is the second time I had this error. Last time it ran successfully on the next day...Please give me some idea how I can investigate which processes were running that time when this process was running and why it was choosen the victim?

• You can enable traceflag 1222 (DBCC TRACEON (1222,-1)) to get the full deadlock graph written into the error log. That will tell you what the other process was.

As for the victim, SQL will pick the process that's the easiest to roll back as the victim.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Gail will If I turn on that flag will it show me the graph of the past like it was occurred yesterday... I have not worked on trace flagss so a lil bit confused

• srawant (12/18/2008)

Gail will If I turn on that flag will it show me the graph of the past like it was occurred yesterday...

No. It will print the deadlock graph into the error log when a deadlock occurs. SQL doesn't keep history of that kind of thing.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply