What does the Backup Contains?

• When you backup a SQL Server (2000) Database from one server and restore it to another server would it bring over the stored procedures from the first server?

Exactly, what does the backup contains? Does it just contain the Database Tables and their Data? Or does it contains SPs, Views, Users, Roles, UDFs, DTS Packages, Jobs, etc.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

• A user database backup contains all objects in the database including the objects you listed.  A backup of the msdb database contains jobs and DTS packages because data about them is stored in tables in msdb.  Check out 'Database Backups' in Books onLine under 'Administering SQL Server'.

Greg

Greg

• A backup contains everything you'll find in the database.  Note that full-text catalogs are not stored in the database, so they are never backed up using the BACKUP command.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• I realsise that people are probably sick of hearing this type of thing by now but Full-Text information will be included with database backups in SQL 2005.

I wouldnt normally mention it but I know it's a fairly complex area to get right and I for one cant wait for this.

• >>  I realise that people are probably sick of hearing this type of thing by now ...

Not me.  Thanks for the reminder.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply