What do you use to track user requests?

• I'm curious how other people track DBA-resource requests.  We receive requests from developers and users in the form of emails or phone calls, but currently do not track the quantity or type of request, including time spent addressing each request.  We need this type of information in order to justify increasing staff, among other things.

One option is an Excel spreadsheet, but perhaps there are some inexpensive tools to consider that produce some nice reports.

Thanks,   Dave

• We use a "ticketing" system... you could probably build a nice little Access front-end on a couple of tables (Access or SQL).  Expect it to get pretty big in a year...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• We use a 3rd party tool called Remedy.

We use this when we get requests from the business, developers etc as well as the 1st line support team who log calls for us to deal with.

If you expect a lot of calls and need features like SLA's, escalations, knowledge base etc then look at it or similar products.  Otherwise, as Jeff sugested...A simple application in Access/VB etc would do the trick.

In the past, I have just used Excel to log everything.

• We use HelpBox by Layton Technology for all IT requests

• If you want something inexpensive - as others suggested, use Access to build a database with a front end to allow people to enter/manage requests.   Using Access will definitely give you more flexibility than using Excel to keep track of requests.

As everyone in your company starts using your Access db, you may find that you might need to eventually purchase a software product.

Good luck!

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• I tend to use Excel because it's lightweight. And ad hoc.

If you're tracking to prove you're working or to get more resources, either Excel or Access will work and it might justify a real ticketing system. Things you might want to track is time in, time done, who, what, which server.

You can track much more, but the key is to make it very, very simple, easy and quick. Too many fields, which often real products require, end up with people not using it, filling in with defaults, getting annoyed, and just ignoring it. KISS+Quick is the best solution here.

• Hi, we use 'Perfect Tracker' software which uses sql tables as the backend and its really good, with reporting inbuilt reporting facilities and you can design you own since data is stored in sqlserver.

The company who produces the software is Avensoft.

http://avensoft2.com/index.html

thanks

• We use Infra Enterprise which is way over the top for you most likely. It has all the bells and whistles - sla's, web acccess, thick client, ITIL compliant, customer Portal etc etc

So, just for fun, get Visual Studio and make a web app that reads/wrtes to a SQL Server backend. I wish we had done that......

Cheers.

The systems fine with no users loggged in. Can we keep it that way ?br>

• We use an app called Eventum, which is free.  On the downside it has a MySQL backend so now I have to administer that too.  It works quite well though.

• We too use Remedy for DBA requests--I insist on an email request first so that I can copy & paste the information myself.  This way I can sort through them by topics pretty easily.  I also use the Trouble Ticket portion to help see patterns of recurring issues.  The nice thing is that you have record of the day and time events occur should you need to "prove" anything to your manager or other IT people.  It certainly has come in handy for me on several occasions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply