What do you like for third party database backup/restore for SQL server & Azure

• Hi all, my company currently uses SQL server native tools to perform nightly backups.    We are a small company and unfortunately do not have an actual DBA - our network admin and group of developers are working together on the backups.   But we are looking into other vendors, such as RedGate's SQLBackupPro, Idera's SQL Safe Backup, and Quest Litespeed to help handle backups as our company is growing.   Our main objectives, which all of these options seem to offer are:  high level of compression, encryption, and ease of restoring.   Just wondering in the "real world" what you have encountered as a good solution, what you find relatively user friendly, etc.   We have an Azure server with about four databases (about 2 GB used space, 250 GB max storage per database) and an on premises server with a size of 1.12 TB).   Thanks for any feedback!

• All of these products work well for making, compressing, and restoring backups. I'm biased because I work for Redgate, but I'd suggest you download an eval for different ones and try them locallt.

When you say Azure server, I assume you mean a VM, an IaaS instance set up with the on-premises version of SQL Server. If this is an Azure SQL Database (PaaS), then they handle backups.

• I was happy with both RedGate & Idera on physical & VM servers at previous jobs. No experience with Azure.

• To be honest, I've tried several and I prefer the homegrown native backup methods.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

To be honest, I've tried several and I prefer the homegrown native backup methods.

I switched from Quest Litespeed back to native compressed - even on my 3TB+ system.  I get virtually the same compression and performance that I was getting with Litespeed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply