What do you do to relax after work?

• bkubicek - Friday, March 31, 2017 6:43 AM

WayneS - Friday, March 31, 2017 6:41 AM

Can you explain this "after work" concept you introduced here??

Uh, it might be time to look for a new job.

🙂

Ben

There is no such thing as after work. bahahahaha

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• lptech - Friday, March 31, 2017 10:23 AM

One of the P90X workouts as soon as I get home. That way, no excuses later. Exercise does wonders to de-stress (this was far more of an issue in the past than now, thankfully).  And classical music last thing before bed when I'm awake enough.

I need to get back in that p90x habit.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I like listening to NPR radio during the 1/2 commute to and from work, and when I get home, I'll cook dinner while my wife helps the kids with their homework. If I'm lucky, the kids will be in the mood to go for a family bike ride around the neighborhood. But really, the essential thing to do that's relaxing is just to let your worrys go and not allow yourself to fret. Sometimes in the morning, after the alarm clock goes off, I'll lay down on the couch and spend 15 minutes or so meditating in dark; not meditating in an internal spiritual way but rather reflecting on the events of the previous day and focusing on what I need to accomplish today. That's way more productive than thinking about it at the end of the day, or even worse thinking about it before going to bed. Sometimes if my wife tries to bring up some heavy topic after 10pm, I'll just let her know it's too late and instead tell me about it in the morning, because it's more important that I rest than it is to clutter my mind with the issue the night before.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Roleplaying (Running a Star Wars Saga game, running an Exalted game, playing in a 5th ed D&D game)
    Playing board games
    Playing computer games
    Reading

I used to do 3d computer graphics. Kinda fallen  away due to lack of time. It's something I want to pick up at some point.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm surprised there aren't more musicians here.  Nothing helps me relax and annoys my kids more than sitting down with my guitar(s).  Rory Gallagher soothes my soul and makes my fingers hurt.  🙂

• Steven.Howes - Monday, April 3, 2017 8:11 AM

I'm surprised there aren't more musicians here.  Nothing helps me relax and annoys my kids more than sitting down with my guitar(s).  Rory Gallagher soothes my soul and makes my fingers hurt.  🙂

Heh.

I spent all weekend propping up the double bass for a new orchestra based out of the local music college.  But it's not a regular thing, and I wouldn't call Beethoven particularly relaxing...  🙂

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Chris Harshman - Friday, March 31, 2017 9:13 AM

The thing that I find best helps me is hiking.  I'm fortunate to live in an area that has a 33,000 acre national park just 5 miles from where I live with tons of hiking trails available, along with lots of county MetroParks and such.  Something about it just feels good for the soul.

I'm so jealous. I love the US national parks (I'm assuming you're in the US, but it applies anyway). I love living in central London, but it's no Arches.

• I need to figure something out to do after work.  I haven't been able to get back out on the pitch to referee soccer since getting back from Afghanistan.  I didn't exercise while there and I am paying for it now.

• I find that the following offer immediate relaxation:
    - Reading.
    - Listening to music.
    - Concerts and plays. (I have a very wide range in taste. Except musicals.)
    - Films (Oh, OK. Movies. You Americans!!!).
    - Time spent with family and friends.
    - Introspection. It is like a non-spiritual meditation. My words. Probably wrong.

And I get a lot of long term relaxation benefit from these physical endeavours:
    - Playing (field) hockey.
    - Running (I hate running but found that a cross trainer connected to an iPad running iFit where I can watch a Google StreetView of the run anywhere in the world [and with music playing] helps)
    - Walks with the family and dog.

The following aren't particularly relaxing but give vigour to my life:
    - Listening to music. (Different music than the previous entry.)
    - Computer gaming (I am not very good but I enjoy the thrills, challenges and [sometimes] stories.)
    - Gigs (e.g. I saw The Jesus & Mary Chain last Friday and they were loud and raucous and fun.)

These I do very occasionally but also find relaxing:
    - Role playing games (Preferably not running them but happy to take my turn too.)

The biggest failing on my part:
    - Not getting enough sleep. (I can't blame the kids. They are 19 and 13.)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I love that no one has put down anyone else for their techniques. Some have said that something doesn't work for them but, generally speaking, everyone has focused on themselves.

This Saturday I must ask Steve what he does to relax as we spend some of our weekend at SQLBits 2017 in sunny Telford!!! :hehe:

Gaz

• Gary Varga - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:54 AM

I find that the following offer immediate relaxation:
    - Reading.
    - Listening to music.
    - Concerts and plays. (I have a very wide range in taste. Except musicals.)
    - Films (Oh, OK. Movies. You Americans!!!).
    - Time spent with family and friends.
    - Introspection. It is like a non-spiritual meditation. My words. Probably wrong.

And I get a lot of long term relaxation benefit from these physical endeavours:
    - Playing (field) hockey.
    - Running (I hate running but found that a cross trainer connected to an iPad running iFit where I can watch a Google StreetView of the run anywhere in the world [and with music playing] helps)
    - Walks with the family and dog.

The following aren't particularly relaxing but give vigour to my life:
    - Listening to music. (Different music than the previous entry.)
    - Computer gaming (I am not very good but I enjoy the thrills, challenges and [sometimes] stories.)
    - Gigs (e.g. I saw The Jesus & Mary Chain last Friday and they were loud and raucous and fun.)

These I do very occasionally but also find relaxing:
    - Role playing games (Preferably not running them but happy to take my turn too.)

The biggest failing on my part:
    - Not getting enough sleep. (I can't blame the kids. They are 19 and 13.)

Jesus and Mary chain!  how are your ears?  Do they still do the 40 minute shows, or have they mellowed and now do full sets  :D?

• Steven.Howes - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:15 AM

...Jesus and Mary chain!  how are your ears?  Do they still do the 40 minute shows, or have they mellowed and now do full sets  :D?

My ears were ringing. A wonderful wall of distortion. They did a full set without the Reid brothers arguing. Shocking, I know.

Gaz

• GilaMonster - Monday, April 3, 2017 3:55 AM

Roleplaying (Running a Star Wars Saga game, running an Exalted game, playing in a 5th ed D&D game)
    Playing board games
    Playing computer games
    Reading

I used to do 3d computer graphics. Kinda fallen  away due to lack of time. It's something I want to pick up at some point.

Except for the computer games we seem to spend our after work time in the same ways. I'm running 2 3.5 games but playing in a 5e.
    And Kickstarter is deadly for blowing the budget on board games.

• We're in the early stages of embarking on off-road adventures in our new Toyota Tacoma :hehe:.  Mostly California desert for now with plans for the "Big 5" in Utah eventually.  Nothing beats watching YouTube videos in the evening of various trails, or educational videos for properly prepping for off-roading (Ronny Dahl anyone?).  We get to live vicariously through others, daydream, and burst with anticipation of doing those things.

• Gary Varga - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:26 AM

Steven.Howes - Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:15 AM

...Jesus and Mary chain!  how are your ears?  Do they still do the 40 minute shows, or have they mellowed and now do full sets  :D?

My ears were ringing. A wonderful wall of distortion. They did a full set without the Reid brothers arguing. Shocking, I know.

Ha! I went to see The Fall for old times sake a few weeks back. Great if notably peculiar gig, but my ears were troubled for at least a day afterwards. I've listened to them since the 80s but only recognised 1 song, in the encore.
    Think you might get to watch the Seagulls now they're looking nailed on for the top flight next season? I'll probably go down for the away leg of the Saints / Seagulls south coast derby having connections in Brighton.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply