What do you do to relax after work?

• WayneS - Friday, March 31, 2017 6:41 AM

Can you explain this "after work" concept you introduced here??

Uh, it might be time to look for a new job.

๐Ÿ™‚

Ben

• Relaxation starts with the drive home. I put on my Van Morrison playlist and hit the road. It helps that I've gradually trained myself not to let other drivers get under my skin.

Once I'm home, time for a nice craft beer - just the one - and half an hour of utter quiet in my rocking chair. Yes, rocking chair. No, I'm not ancient, but I do have back problems, and the rocker helps (JFK used on in the WH). After that, a peaceful dinner with my wife, watch the evening news (time-shifted), then if we've recorded any shows we'll watch those, otherwise I head to my refuge and either read or spend an hour or so playing music. Nothing specific, just messing around, but melody always helps.

I always read for at least half an hour before going to sleep - usually fiction (sci-fi and fantasy are big favorites), sometimes trade stuff.

Finally, I make sure I get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep. Nothing stresses you out faster than a lack of sleep.

Works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Roland Alexander 
    The Monday Morning DBA 
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. ~ Albert Schweitzer

• Go to Car shows, run a car club.... thinking about acquiring a classic Dodge truck this year....   when the weather is nice... evenings on our back patio with a fire in the firepit with Reds baseball on the radio.

• It's cooking and running for me.  Oddly, I find the more I cook, the more I have to run.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Really glad to see what other people do to shake off the job nightmares when they close the office door behind them.  Been looking for more ideas myself.  I know several people in I.T. that have been subject to anxiety and even heart conditions that are related to just the amount of stress at work.  I am seeing some good ideas in the comments, and will seriously consider trying some out.  Personally, I have a wife that says time to get out of that job, and it may be so, but I don't like to give up easily.  I can say that going home and sitting in front of the TV or on the computer doesn't work as a stress reliever, maybe working out, walking the dog, or reading a book would be the ticket.  Have to experiment.  Thanks for the help people!

• I took up metal detecting and have found it as a way to get out into nature with no phones or computers anywhere around.  Nothing is more relaxing to me that spending a hour or two "on a hunt".  A couple of years ago I actually started a side business, http://www.LostandFoundRing.com where I metal detect for people's lost rings. Probably didn't know there was such a thing as a professional lost ring finder, eh?  I try to get to people before they rent a metal detector, get frustrated and declare the ring lost forever.  To date, I have returned 47 rings to people!

• I run 2 separate games of Dungeons and Dragons. Doing that includes:
    * Planning encounters that the players will completely ignore;
    * Trying to have other encounters that will fit what the players decide to do;
    * Making maps (software and hand drawn)

I also play tabletop strategy games so that means painting a LOT of miniatures and spending time with people having fun while I get my butt handed to me.

When I need to get away from people I read. A lot. And I'm just starting to learn calligraphy as a different way to be creative.

• Prayer is a great way to recharge after a stressful day.  Like St Augustine said, "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you."
    I also really enjoy fishing.  The fresh lake air, the beauty of nature, and the tug of a fish on the end of the line really melts away the exhaustion caused by stress.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• Relaxation - possible for three out of four weeks (the fourth is on call)  - and a bit of an amalgam of the other posters' relaxation approaches - Gaming (Fallout, Deus ex, Civilisation) , Prayer, Reading (mostly history) and factual TV

• I love to relax by listening to classical music and playing the piano.  Most times when I come home from work, particularly after a hard day, I will play the piano for a couple of hours or more. When finished, I find myself totally rested, relaxed and have worked out my frustrations from the day, even though I may be totally drenched...Awesome!

• The thing that I find best helps me is hiking.  I'm fortunate to live in an area that has a 33,000 acre national park just 5 miles from where I live with tons of hiking trails available, along with lots of county MetroParks and such.  Something about it just feels good for the soul.

• Having a hobby, any kind of activity that is different that what you do at work, is one of the best ways to relax and unwind from work. For me it's playing piano and going for a brisk walk / jog after work.

• One of the P90X workouts as soon as I get home. That way, no excuses later. Exercise does wonders to de-stress (this was far more of an issue in the past than now, thankfully).  And classical music last thing before bed when I'm awake enough.

• Well tonight I plan to go home play some Overwatch and shoot some people in the face.

• We have a Beagle puppy, River, now six months old and I'll throw a PVC pipe for her to fetch. I'll catch up on four photography blogs that I follow. Enjoy craft beer. TV. I don't normally go out after coming home to do photography, but I bring a camera with me to work to take a break and shoot; I'll also shoot on weekends.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply